Unexpectedly, a scandal that started with a Thai workers riot is now reshaping Taiwan politics.
Not only opposition parties, but also factions inside the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and even the local media are attempting to complicate the scandal surrounding the Kaohsiung Rapid Transit Corp (KRTC) in order to take advantage from the situation.
They are expanding the scope of the scandal because they believe that President Chen Shui-bian (
FILE PHOTO: CHANG CHUNG-YI, TAIPEI TIMES
On the other hand, former Kaoshiung city mayor and incumbent Premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) has been another target for both opposition and ruling party members. Hsieh, a possible strong contender in the 2008 presidential election, is the planner and builder of the Kaoshiung MRT.
The Kaoshiung City Government began planning to build the MRT in the early 1990s, but the proposal was delayed by former mayor Wu Den-yih (吳敦義), a member of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT). Local politicians believed that Wu was unwilling to build the MRT during his term because he was unable to deal with politicians and businessmen who had already cast their covetous eyes on the more than NT$100 billion construction project.
In 1998 Hsieh beat Wu in the mayoral election. Analysts believed that the people of Kaoshiung dumped Wu because the conservative mayor never "contributed to construction in the city." In May 2000, the more aggressive Hsieh announced that the KRTC, which was established in 1999 to bid for the MRT project, beat the Kang Tou Rapid Transit Corp (港都捷運公司) in the race for winning the project bid. The KRTC began construction of the MRT in October 2001.
However, almost four years later, an unexpected riot by Thai workers uncovered the extent of corruption in the KRTC.
On Aug. 21, some 300 of 1,700 Thai workers building the Kaoh-siung MRT rioted over their poor treatment at the hands of Huapan Co, which was appointed by the KRTC to hire and supervise the Thai workers.
After the workers' accusations, it was discovered that the Huapan Co illegally demanded brokerage fees from Thai workers when they applied for work in Taiwan. More seriously, the KRTC was found to be paying each Thai worker NT$29,500 a month, but the workers actually received only about NT$20,000, so more than NT$9,000 of their monthly salary was ending up in somebody else's pockets.
On Aug. 23, Chen Chu (
"The powerful men" have since hogged the headlines in Taiwanese newspapers. Meanwhile, it was alleged that Chen Che-nan and then vice chairman of the KRTC Chen Min-hsien (
"I never went to Thailand and I had nothing to do with the KRTC," Chen Che-nan said more than once.
However, as the scandal continued to expand, on Sept. 5, both Chen Chu and acting Kaohsiung mayor Chen Chi-mai (
On Sept. 6 Kaohsiung judges ordered the detention of Huapan Co's general manager and his wife. A week later, it was found that Chen Min-hsien had illegal brokerage fees flowing into his bank account, he was arrested and released on NT$1.5 million bail.
The scandal further deepened when suspicions were raised about the KRTC's conduct in six public bids for major MRT constructions. Kaohsiung City councilors revealed that although RSEA Engineering Co offered a bid which was NT$2.7 billion lower than that of Hwang Chang Building Co (HCBC), HCBC won the NT$8 billion contract.
To appease public anger and clarify the matter, president Chen asked the new acting Kaohsiung mayor Yeh Chu-lan (葉菊蘭) to form a task force to probe the scandal. After an intensive probe of two weeks, Yeh released the "Kaoh-siung MRT Investigation Report" on Oct. 21.
The report said there was no evidence of "misconduct" by former mayors Hsieh and Wu. But it did not address whether they should be held accountable for their part in adopting a build-operate-transfer (BOT) model that many considered to have been flawed.
The report said, however, that Chen Ming-hsien abused his power to help Tieng Cheng Co win 11 contracts out of 14 public construction bids, with his corrupt practices caused the KRTC to overspend by NT$1.4 billion on the MRT project.
However, the report failed to clear all suspicions. On Oct. 26, when a picture was released by a TVBS talk show showing Chen Che-nan and Chen Min-hsien sitting at a casino table on South Korea's Cheju Island on Nov. 2, 2002, Kaohsiung prosecutors summoned Chen Che-nan for questioning the next day, charged him with corruption and released him on NT$500,000 bail.
Prosecutors proved that Chen Che-nan was entertained by Huapan Co on three foreign trips to Thailand and South Korea.
As the scandal worsened, President Chen on Oct. 30 offered an apology over the KRTC incident.
"I feel sorry and ashamed about Chen Che-nan's integrity problem," the president said.
Chen Chu was summoned for questioning on Oct. 31 by Kaoh-siung prosecutors to learn why the council changed its policy on foreign laborers and whether it was related to alleged intervention by certain prominent figures.
Prosecutors said that the council in May 2001 announced that the county would freeze the introduction of foreign laborers on major infrastructure projects. But in June 2003, the council changed its policy and decided to allow the introduction of foreign workers by the companies in charge of major BOT construction projects.
Prosecutors said that the KRTC in September 2003 had asked the council for permission to use foreign workers, and the council approved KRTC's application at the end of that year.
Kaoshiung prosecutors said they have divided the complicated KRTC scandal into 11 cases because of its gravity. A situation of this magnitude has never occur-red in Taiwanese judicial history, they said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as