Former National Security Bureau (NSB) official Pan Hsi-hsien (潘希賢), who violated regulations to travel to and work in China three years ago shortly after retirement, may have returned to the country on Monday, sources said yesterday.
Pan, who retired on June 1, 2000, as personnel department chief of the NSB, had been in China for the past three years.
Pan flew to China three days after retirement, making front-page news. He was the first senior NSB official to violate regulations to travel to China after retirement.
According to regulations, Pan was not allowed to travel to or stay in China within three years of retirement because he had handled sensitive materials while working for the government.
A defense source said Pan likely returned to the country on Monday but that he has yet find out why he chose to return at this moment.
It was also not known whether Pan had returned by airplane or by other means such as by fishing boat.
"Pan is being held somewhere by the NSB so they can gain an understanding of the motives behind his return. He might be released in a few days," the source said.
The NSB, however, denied that Pan has already returned to the country, saying he should still be in China.
Independent Legislator Peter Lin (
"I have strong reasons to suspect that Pan has come back. But the NSB keeps telling me nonsense," Lin said.
"As I first called them for a confirmation of rumors about Pan's return, I was told that they were holding a meeting to find out whether Pan had indeed returned," he said.
"They are treating me like a child. Would I be so stupid to believe that they could determine a person's whereabouts through a meeting? I have written an official letter to the NSB asking for an explanation of the matter," he said.
Lin, who has a doctorate in medical science from Johns Hopkins University in the US, said he suspected the NSB was trying to cover for Pan, who should otherwise be condemned for his decision to go to China three years ago.
"Pan came back apparently for the purpose of money," he said. According to new rules, Pan can collect a retirement pension if he comes back before Jan. 1. Under the old rules, Pan's family could collect the pension on his behalf.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated