The Control Yuan yesterday approved a resolution without dissent to request Cabinet officials to report on the implementation of a civilian travel-card program for civil servants.
The 22 Control Yuan members, however, remain undecided on whether to initiate a formal investigation of the Executive Yuan's implementation of the program, which was drafted by the Council of Economic Planning and Development.
The program, called "Touch your heart, Taiwan," is aimed at revitalizing the domestic tourist industry and creating jobs, but Control Yuan officials decided to look into the program and invite Cabinet officials to report on the policymaking and policy implementation of the program after concerns were raised over certain issues involving co-operative banks and designated stores.
The program involves a credit card issued by one of 16 authorized banks to civil servants who then may enjoy discounts by using the card.
"The selection of co-operative banks lacked a public explanation. The stores at which card holders would enjoy discounts or bonuses with the designated credit card were announced without a transparent list of eligibility criterion," Control Yuan Member Lee Yeou-chi (
The media has also said that some public servants intended to capitalize on offers of the program unrelated to tourism, such as discounts on electronic products and gold jewelry.
"We felt obligated to do a study on the program and find out whether the policy would indeed benefit the overall tourism industry or just certain banks and stores," said Control Yuan Secretary General Tu Shan-liang (
Premier Yu Shyi-kun yesterday said that the Cabinet will continue to implement the scheme while making necessary adjustments on a regular basis.
"We won't change the ultimate goal of the scheme: to encourage civil servants to take vacations during weekdays," Yu said. "However, we'll review the implementation of the program every two months and make adjustments accordingly."
Yu made the remarks yesterday morning on the last day of his two-day inspection trip to the proposed Makao national park in Ilan County.
Responding to the Control Yuan's investigation, Vice Premier Lin Hsin-i (
According to Lin, every NT$1 million in tourism business creates one job opportunity for the tourism industry. If 250,000 civil servants spend NT$16,000 each during their trips, they would generate NT$4 billion in sales, or 4,000 new jobs.
Hsieh Fa-dah (謝發達), vice chairman of the Council for Economic Planning and Development, the program is not something new.
"It was first initiated in 1997 to subsidize the holiday expenses of civil servants and then modified in 2001 and again last year," Hsieh said.
In June last year, the Executive Yuan approved a draft measure to issue government workers a "civilian travel card," with the hope of encouraging them to travel domestically on weekdays in a bid to boost the tourism industry.
Under the scheme, cardholders will receive a maximum annual subsidy of NT$16,000 should they travel outside of the place they work and spend at least one night there.
Statistics indicate that since the inauguration of the scheme on Jan. 1, about 210,000 out of the nation's 480,000 civil servants have used the card to buy NT$2.2 billion worth of products as of June 30.
However, only about 37 percent of the money has been spent in tourism-related industries, which prompted the Cabinet to tighten the measure and ban cardholders from using the card at 13 different stores which sell jewelry, electronic devices, watches, eyeglasses and drugs.
The adjusted scheme will begin on Friday.
Hsieh yesterday also dismissed speculation that the change is a knee-jerk response to flaws in the scheme.
"Since it's a new program, it takes time to make it better, but that doesn't mean that it's flawed," he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated