Former Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital superintendent Wu Kang-wen (
Wu and Lin were summoned by Taipei Chief Prosecutor Chen Tai-wei (
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
Wu was removed from his post earlier this month and Lin was fined NT$90,000 by the Taipei City Bureau of Health for delaying the reporting of possible SARS cases.
The Taipei City Government said it stands by its decision to fine three Hoping Hospital doctors, Lin, Chang Yu-tai (
"According to the Communicable Disease Prevention Law (傳染病防治法) Article 29, a doctor must report patients suspected of carrying a statutory communicable diseases to the health authority within 24 hours," said Chen Ching-hsiu (陳清秀), director-general of the Law and Regulation Commission.
"The delayed report sheets we have are clearly signed by the doctors."
According to Chen, all three doctors were a day late in reporting.
Chang claims he signed all three report sheets on behalf of his colleagues.
"If what Chang says about him signing for others is true then we may be looking at a case of forgery, which would entail a more serious consequence," Chen said.
Chen also said that a doctor should not just report cases to other administrative departments within the hospital or ask colleagues to handle them but should ensure they are reported to the authorities as soon as possible.
Chen said that a doctor who broke the law could be fined between NT$90,000 to NT$450,000.
"Unless the doctors can provide concrete evidence of their innocence, our decision to fine them will stand," Chen said.
All three doctors were invited to offer evidence against the allegations two days ago but, according to the Taipei City Government, could not offer any written proof to collaborate their stories.
"The doctors should report any suspected cases," said Wu Wen-hao (
"Many doctors simply do not understand the law. They should be more careful, and should not sign documents if they are not directly responsible," Wu said.
Chang will hold a press conference today to offer his side of the story.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not