The Department of Health (DOH) is coordinating with local governments to speed up the installation of facilities for patients suspected of having SARS in 10 regional hospitals around the nation.
Since May 20, the two hospitals assigned to become hospitals for SARS patients in Taipei -- Sanchung Hospital and Sungshan Hospital -- have made available facilities for 92 and 102 SARS patients respectively.
The Chishan Hospital in Kaohsiung County announced yesterday that 49 negative pressure rooms in the hospital will be ready for SARS patients by June 5.
In central Taiwan, the Taichung Military Hospital entrusted to handle SARS cases will begin to accept suspected SARS patients in two weeks when its 44 negative pressure rooms are ready.
The 10 hospitals assigned to accommodate suspected SARS patients are the Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital and the Sungshan Military Hospital in Taipei City, Sanchung Hospital in Taipei County, the Taichung Military Hospital and Chunghsing Hospital in central Taiwan, the Tainan Military Hospital, Pingtung Military Hospital and Chishan Hospital in southern Taiwan, and the Hualien Military Hospital and Taitung Hospital in eastern Taiwan.
These hospitals will only handle suspected SARS cases, while the more critical probable SARS patients will be treated by research hospitals.
Since many of the hospitals do not have doctors specializing in infectious diseases or the respiratory system, the medical authorities are arranging special training programs for doctors and nurses.
Meanwhile, in Kaohsiung City, the city government has coordinated with the military to set up a suspected SARS-patient screening unit at a barracks for marines at Tsoying. The 41 negative pressure rooms, to be ready today, will accommodate patients transferred from nearby hospitals, although critical SARS patients will not be accepted.
Serving as a mid-way house for suspected SARS patients, the screening unit will only treat suspected SARS patients. Should a patient's situation deteriorate, the unit will transfer the patient to a research hospital.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not