When Taiwan doctor Chang Yu-tai (張裕泰) was sealed inside the Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital a month ago, he knew he was putting his life at risk to treat patients with SARS.
But the emergency ward chief and his colleagues had little inkling their reputation and medical ethics would also be put to test as the worsening viral outbreak placed Taiwan's medical system under scrutiny.
This week, health authorities fined Chang's hospital and three others NT$1.5 million each for covering up or delaying their reporting of possible SARS patients, resulting in a wider spread of the virus.
Three Hoping doctors, including Chang, were personally fined T$90,000 each. All deny the charges.
"If any government officials are doctors, I wish they would go sit in an emergency ward and see some feverish patients," said Chang, a Japan-educated endocrinologist. "Let's see if they can tell who has SARS and who just has a cold."
Whispers of hospital cover-ups started to make the rounds this month, after President Chen Shui-bian (
As Taiwan's cases jumped 10-fold in a month to 570 by yesterday, with hospital infections accounting for 95 percent of new cases, suspicions grew that some hospitals may have delayed reporting SARS patients for fear of hurting revenues.
At the Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital -- one of the four penalized -- many patients fled on media reports of a SARS outbreak, causing occupancy to plunge to 300 beds from 1,600.
Taiwan requires all doctors to report suspected SARS cases within 24 hours, but medical workers say there can be many reasons why that is delayed, including the difficulty of diagnosing an illness with similar symptoms to the common flu.
"If a doctor doesn't know for sure that a patient has SARS, he might not want to report the case," said Jenny Liao (
Carelessness, pride and profit concerns may have also encouraged doctors to classify some borderline cases as non-SARS, medical workers say, though most do not believe doctors will go so far as to wilfully violate the Hippocratic oath.
"It's impossible for a doctor to purposely cover up SARS," said Kuo San-dar (郭聖達), another doctor at Hoping's emergency room. "I can't accept a doctor will do that on purpose for any reason."
Chang and Kuo criticized the government for not investigating more thoroughly before issuing the penalties, saying the fines only pile more pressure on doctors battling to save lives.
Medical workers also fear a backlash: if all patients with fevers and coughs are treated as SARS cases, strained hospitals will be swamped with flu patients taking up quarantine beds.
"We will be very careful now. It will change the mentality and practices of many doctors when they see patients," said Wu Shu-min (吳樹民), chairman of the Foundation of Medical Professionals Alliance.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as