In a whirlwind reversal of fortune, Chiou Shu-ti (
Once praised for her farsightedness in urging the Cabinet-level Department of Health to list SARS as statutory communicable disease in March, Chiou is under fire a month later for belatedly reporting SARS cases at TMHH, leading to the first mass infection of SARS and escalating jitters across the nation.
TAIPEI TIMES FILE PHOTO
When TMHH was accused of sitting on reports of seven SARS cases in the facility earlier last week, Chiou refuted the accusation, saying it was the health department that should be held accountable for delays in determining probable SARS cases.
However, deputy director of the health department Lee Lung-teng (
"The first suspected SARS case at TMHH occurred on April 18, but the hospital did not report the case until April 21. The hospital not only delayed the reporting process, but also failed to impose any necessary quarantine measures in the mean time," Lee said.
Lee said it was the responsibility of the city's Bureau of Health to continue reporting all SARS-related cases immediately to the health department no matter how much time the agency required to process previous cases.
Chiou, a 41-year-old Tainan native, was originally a family doctor. She then switched her specialty to preventive medicine and later earned a masters degree in public health from National Taiwan University.
In 1995, she moved with her husband Yang Tseng-hui (
Her post in Ilan lasted four years before being recruited in 2001 by Taipei City Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
In Taipei, Chiou was considered one of the most capable aides among Ma's administrative cadre.
Describing herself as simply not interested in politics, Chiou said she is simply using the post to help her carry out her expertise.
However, the outbreak of SARS at TMHH has found Chiou caught up in accusations of overseeing a chaotic hospital management system in the city.
When SARS first struck in March, Chiou acted quickly to curb the disease by advising the health department to list the mysterious atypical pneumonia as a statutory communicable disease to allow for tougher prevention efforts.
On March 27, when the health department finally decided to heed the advice after four employees of CTCI Corp were diagnosed with SARS, Chiou won tremendous applause for her forethought.
At that time, Chiou also warned of potential local transmissions within one month. Sure enough, her prediction came true at TMHH, which is under her jurisdiction.
The resultant chaos at the hospital, which a US Center for Disease official in Taiwan described as "out of order," has tarnished Chiou's reputation and even to calls for her resignation.
Taipei City Councilors blasted loopholes in Taipei's preventive system and blamed Chiou for creating them.
DPP city councilor Lee Wen-ying (
"She didn't do her job well enough to carry out the policy, but when problems occurred, she never hesitated to blame the government first," Lee said. "Whenever it comes to merits, she accepts, but when troubles come out, she dodges the flak."
Another DPP city councilor, Liu Yao-ren (
Before TMHH's quarantine was announced, Taipei City had only delivered 37 household quarantine notices, while Taipei County had 92 household quarantine cases and Hsinchu City 84, Liu said.
"Some staff from the city's health bureau even confessed that the city's quarantine measures were poorly implemented," Liu said.
Despite harsh criticism and calls for Chiou to step down, Taipei City Mayor Ma defended his official by saying the city administration will not conceal or sit on any SARS-related cases. Ma added that now is not the time to engage in a war of words.
Chiou's appearances have been relatively low-key of late, compared to her previous confrontations with the government.
Her only response to the criticism surrounding her was, "My priority is to contain the spread of SARS. It's not up to me to decide what criticisms or merits I deserve."
Nevertheless, she also said that certain medical staff in the city, including TMHH, were ineffective in imposing quarantine measures.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not