Though the US has warned Taiwan twice about the possibility of a terrorist attack, Taiwan is still unprepared for such an event.
As a partner in the US anti-terrorism campaign, Taiwan could be a target for international terrorists among the Southeast Asian countries. But while the government has actively voiced its support of the US anti-terrorism campaign since the Sept. 11 attacks, it hasn't allotted any money to combat terrorism in Taiwan nor has it passed any regulations governing the prevention or prosecution of terrorist activity and coordination among the related departments is weak.
PHOTO: CHEN CHENG-CHANG, TAIPEI TIMES
PFP Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) said that "All of the government departments related to the anti-terrorism campaign are unaware of what other departments are doing. Promoting coordination among different departments is the most urgent mission for the government."
FILE PHOTO: TAIPEI TIMES
According to a poll conducted by the China Times, one of Taiwan's leading Chinese-language dailies, 40 percent of the respondents said that they are worried about a terrorist attack on Taiwan, while 46 percent of the respondents said that they are not confident of the government's anti-terrorism preparation. The poll was conducted on Oct. 16, four days after the Bali bomb incident. The survey was conducted by telephone and had 800 respondents.
Five main government departments -- the National Security Council (NSC), the Ministry of National Defense (MND), the Ministry of the Interior (MOI), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) -- are coordinating the nation's anti-terrorism efforts.
PFP Legislator Shen Chih-hwei (
The NSC is in charge of coordinating the four ministries, but it has been failed to do so, Lin said. The MOI's National Police Administration, National Fire Administration and Bureau of Immigration are in charge of safeguarding domestic security, while the MOJ is collecting intelligence information and the MOFA is working on cooperating with the international community.
Presidential Secretary-General Chen Shih-meng (
At a PFP-organized breakfast Friday, representatives from the defense ministry and information ministry both said that, in the event of an emergency, the military and police forces will cooperate.
"It's not even clear which department would be entitled to give orders to the two ministries if an emergency occurred," Lin said.
The information ministry's 70,000 policemen are beefing up security measures at the airports, bus and railway stations, nuclear power plants, diplomatic bases, sea ports and places frequently visited by foreigners.
The justice ministry is planning to introduce a new regulation to counter terrorism, which would entitle authorities to investigate and arrest anyone suspected of engaging in terrorist activities, and might authorize the government to establish an independent department devoted to counter-terrorism.
According to government officials, Taiwan was warned twice of possible attacks over the past two months. The MOFA's Houston office in the US received an e-mail on Sept. 23, warning that Taiwan could be one of the potential targets in the Asia-Pacific area for a terrorist attack.
Deputy Director of the NSB, Hu Cheng-chiou (胡鎮球), on the other hand, said numerous intelligence sources suggested that Taiwan was named as a target for a terrorist attack on Oct. 7.
"Terrorism is not so far away from Taiwan. Both the society and the government should have a sense of immediate threat," Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated