Former champion Stan Wawrinka on Monday rolled back the years to outlast Tallon Griekspoor 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 and reach the Monte Carlo Masters second round, while Andy Murray’s first appearance in the tournament since 2017 ended in a loss to Alex de Minaur.
Wawrinka looked in danger of falling in his opener for a second straight year after losing a tight opening set, but the 38-year-old found a way back into the match by dominating the second set and grabbed an early break in the decider.
Griekspoor beat Wawrinka in their only previous meeting in 2018 and showed plenty of fight to level at 3-3, but surrendered his serve again to allow the Swiss veteran to surge ahead and close out the contest on his sixth match point.
Photo: Reuters
“It was really important to stay calm with myself,” said 2014 champion Wawrinka, the oldest man in this year’s field. “In the first round you need to find your game. The first match on clay is never easy against a good player. I’m happy to get through. It was important to fight until the end.”
Up next for the three-time Grand Slam champion is world No. 10 Taylor Fritz.
“He’s an amazing player,” Wawrinka said of the American player. “He’s top 10, been winning a lot of matches. Winning a lot of tournaments. He’s very dangerous on many surfaces.”
Murray gained direct entry to the prestigious tournament after several players, including world No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz and 11-time champion Rafael Nadal, withdrew due to injuries, but the former world No. 1 endured a torrid time in a rare appearance in a clay-court tournament due to hip injuries as he lost 6-1, 6-3 to Australian De Minaur in 86 minutes.
Former US Open champion Dominic Thiem beat French veteran Richard Gasquet 6-1, 6-4 as the Austrian looks to revive his career following his slide out of the top 300 due to a wrist injury.
Thiem, now ranked No. 106 in the world, had split up with coach Nicolas Massu before the tournament, ending a partnership that lasted more than four years, but the 29-year-old looked like he was slowly getting back to his vintage best as the clay-court specialist won five games in a row at one stage, while he did not face a single break point in the match.
The victory, sealed with his sixth ace in the contest, also marked Thiem’s first at a Masters tournament since Rome in 2021, weeks before the wrist injury that sidelined him for nine months.
Thiem next plays Danish 19-year-old Holger Rune, who is ranked ninth in the world.
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic was due to return to the ATP Tour yesterday having been forced out of tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami last month after being denied special permission to enter the US without a COVID-19 vaccination.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion last played in early March in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and has been ramping up his preparations on clay ahead of the French Open, which begins next month.
He was to meet Russian qualifier Ivan Gakhov, who beat American Mackenzie McDonald 7-6 (8/6), 2-6, 6-3.
Francisco Cerundolo earlier stunned 11th seed Cameron Norrie 6-3, 6-4 and is to play Matteo Berrettini, who downed Maxime Cressy 6-4, 6-2 for his first win in the tournament.
Shohei Ohtani and Clayton Kershaw on Friday joined their Los Angeles Dodgers teammates in sticking their fists out to show off their glittering World Series rings at a ceremony. “There’s just a lot of excitement, probably more than I can ever recall with the Dodger fan base and our players,” manager Dave Roberts said before Los Angeles rallied to beat the Detroit Tigers 8-5 in 10 innings. “What a way to cap off the first two days of celebrations,” Roberts said afterward. “By far the best opening week I’ve ever experienced. I just couldn’t have scripted it any better.” A choir in the
The famously raucous Hong Kong Sevens are to start today in a big test for a shiny new stadium at the heart of a major US$3.85 billion sports park in the territory. Officials are keeping their fingers crossed that the premier event in Hong Kong’s sporting and social calendar goes off without a hitch at the 50,000-seat Kai Tak Stadium. They hope to entice major European soccer teams to visit in the next few months, with reports in December last year saying that Liverpool were in talks about a pre-season tour. Coldplay are to perform there next month, all part of Hong Kong’s
After fleeing Sudan when civil war erupted, Al-Hilal captain Mohamed Abdelrahman and his teammates have defied the odds to reach the CAF Champions League quarter-finals. They are today to face title-holders Al-Ahly of Egypt in Cairo, with the return match in the Mauritanian capital, Nouakchott, on Tuesday next week. Al-Hilal and biggest domestic rivals Al-Merrikh relocated to Mauritania after a power struggle broke out in April 2023 between the Sudanese army and a paramilitary force. The civil war has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced more than 12 million people, according to the UN. The Democratic Republic of the Congo-born Al-Hilal
Shohei Ohtani, Teoscar Hernandez and Tommy Edman on Thursday smashed home runs to give the reigning World Series champions the Los Angeles Dodgers a 5-4 victory over Detroit on the MLB’s opening day in the US. The Dodgers, who won two season-opening games in Tokyo last week, raised their championship banner on a day when 28 clubs launched the season in the US. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts shuffled his batting lineup with all four leadoff hitters finally healthy as Ohtani was followed by Mookie Betts, then Hernandez and Freddie Freeman in the cleanup spot, switching places with Hernandez. “There’s a Teoscar tax to