As relief efforts continued yesterday in Taichung County, one inspirational story emerged, with rescue efforts in Fengyuan paying off for a lucky man who had been trapped inside the wreckage of a building.
Lin Yu-lung (
When rescued, Lin told officials that after finding himself trapped in the rubble, he crawled around a bit and found some bottles of champagne, coffeemate and a cellphone. He used the mobile phone to call relatives and survived by drinking champagne and eating the coffeemate, he said.
PHOTO: AFP
However, Lin's story was overshadowed by bleaker news.
Despite efforts by local authorities, soldiers and rescue teams from Taiwan and abroad, casualties in Taichung County yesterday reached nearly 1,000 in the wake of Tuesday's earthquake, police said.
As rescue work continued yesterday, President Lee Teng-hui (
Around 60,000 people in Tungshih -- which suffered the most casualties in the county -- were forced to camp out on streets because almost 65 percent of the homes there were crushed, officials at the Rescue and Prevention Center said.
"The death toll is around 430 in Tungshih. The casualties and damages are more serious than we imaged," Liao Yuan-lai (廖永來), the Taichung County commissioner, said.
"We need volunteers to join the rescue missions. But the hard-hit places are still dangerous and the roads are not repaired completely. People should not go there to look for their relatives. That will only obstruct the rescue mission," Liao said.
Some local residents who met with Lee became visibly angry, letting off steam and expressing their strong personal emotions.
Rescue teams from Russia and Singapore arrived in Taichung County yesterday and began work immediately.
The Singapore team arrived at Chingchuangkung air force base (
The earthquake turned a mountain ridge in the county into a twisted mass of roads, bridges and farms near the towns of Tongshih, Shihkung (
According to a report from the Taichung County Disaster Rescue and Prevention Center, there were 982 dead, 870 missing and 2,104 injured, as of 3pm yesterday.
In addition, the earthquake destroyed or partially-destroyed some 500 buildings in the county.
The destruction is everywhere, according to rescue teams that went to Tungshih, Shikang, Hsinshe and Hoping (
Major bridges in the county, such as Wuhsi bridge, Tungfong bridge and Yichiang bridge are either collapsed or seriously damaged. Kingbow Chen (
Chen said repair work could take two years.
In Hsinshe, more than 100 families remain stranded.
Rescue efforts are continuing in Tungshih. At Tungshih Dynasty (
Premier Vincent Siew ordered that all documents concerning construction work at Tungshih Dynasty and Dali Dynasty (大里王朝) to be checked to see if they were jerrybuilt. Some 45 people were reported dead in the area.
In Tali, the Singaporean rescue team found three people buried at Dali Golden Paris (
A Russian rescue team, composed of 79 people, arrived at the site yesterday afternooon.
Air supply drops are set to begin today in the mountain areas of the county, including Hsinshe, Hoping and other areas hit hard by the earthquake.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats