A possible trial run of the "small three links" will only come about if the governments of China and Taiwan both approve the trip, KMT lawmaker Chen Ching-pao (
"We would't bother with the trip if either of the two countries' authorities are against the initiative. ? And that is exactly the purpose of this journey: to better ascertain the attitude of the Chinese government concerning the `small three links'" (小三通) by testing the waters before the plan is officially launched," Chen, a legislator from Kinmen (金門), told the Taipei Times.
From Taiwan's perspective, Chen said he was very optimistic about the trip. He was unwilling to say that the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) had officially given the nod to his proposal, but noted that the crux of the problem was contingent mostly upon the attitude of China.
"We understand it is a pressing issue, with only a few days left before the trip is to take place, and we have been in close contact with the Xiamen (
The trial trip planned to take place between Dec. 28 and Dec. 30 and will go between Liaoluo Harbor (料羅) on Kinmen and Heping Harbor (和平) in Xiamen. In an effort to downplay the sensitive event, Chen said no national flag would be hung on the vessel.
"Nearly 80 people -- consisting of roughly 20 legislators, 10 aides to legislators, 40 journalists and some local representatives of Kinmen island -- have signed up to join the trip," Chen said. "The group will inspect the equipment at Xiamen Harbor, visit the Xiamen governor and exchange opinions with scholars from Xiamen University at a symposium."
Taiwan unilaterally announced on Dec. 13 that it will open direct postal, transportation and trade links between Taiwan's outlying island groups of Kinmen and Matsu (
However, lawmakers have expressed concern in light of China's lukewarm response.
Lawmakers have warned that Taiwan would only embarrass itself if it unilaterally lifted the ban on Chinese traveling without crystal-clear consent from China.
When questioned by the media about whether the experimental trip will be in violation of the law on the grounds that the ban will not be formally eased until Jan. 1, Mainland Affairs Council Vice Chairman Chen Ming-tong (陳明通) conceded that the matter deserved more discussion.
The trip will take place during the lapse period of the law, he pointed out, adding that the council would allow more leniency on the affair.
"I don't think it is necessary for the public to overly interpret the issue because we respect the thoughts of lawmakers and we know the idea will facilitate communication between Taiwan and China," the MAC official said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary