The central government's budget bill for fiscal 2001 finally made its way onto the legislative agenda yesterday after the majority KMT decided to "conditionally" drop its effort to obstruct the bill's passage.
Legislators voted 129 to eight, with seven abstentions, to ratify a plan to invite Premier Tang Fei
The legislature's procedure committee has set this Friday as the date for presentation of the budget.
The interpellation session will follow immediately after the presentation and is expected to last two weeks, after which the budget bill will be referred to committees for review.
Presentation of the budget bill had been delayed for two weeks, largely due to opposition from the KMT caucus.
The KMT had refused to allow the presentation of the budget to proceed, saying the government had not cut costs by NT$510 billion as some Cabinet members had claimed they would.
KMT legislators had demanded that some Cabinet officials appear before the legislature to explain their cost-cutting promises and remarks insinuating that the former KMT government had been wasteful and corrupt.
In addition to Lin Chuan, KMT legislators also wanted to hear from Chen Ding-nan (
Reporting to the KMT caucus on Monday, the four officials admitted that their remarks were not based on accurate calculations and that they had not meant to criticize the KMT.
The KMT caucus agreed to let the issue slide, though a few members, led by Chen Ching-pao (
Despite opposition from Chen Ching-pao and seven other legislators, a majority of legislators voted yesterday to give the green light to the presentation of the budget bill.
Lu Shiow-yen (
"We are glad to see the budget bill enter the legislative agenda. Through the opposition of a small minority, we hope to remind the government officials to mind their words in the future," Lu said.
Lu said another reason behind the move was to show the legislators' disapproval of the "careless" and "inaccurate" way in which the budget bills were drafted.
Wong Chung-chun
Wong said Premier Tang should promise to take steps to make the spending plan more transparent, included completing the allocation of NT$9.4 billion in tax revenues for local governments and providing detailed allocation criteria for a NT$97 billion subsidy fund for local governments.
The government, ruled by the DPP, which is a minority party in the Legislative Yuan, had two previous versions of its fiscal budget for next year rejected last week.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats