Builders and government officials were given reduced sentences yesterday by the Taiwan High Court, partially reversing a lower court decision finding them responsible for the death of 28 residents at the Lincoln Mansions disaster in Taipei County.
Residents of the ill-fated buildings, who have fought for compensation since the disaster in 1997, called the ruling "incredible," and challenged the court's rulings.
"It's such an obvious and outrageous example of corruption links between the contractors and the officials. How could the court take it so lightly?" said Chou Chih-chuan (
FILE PHOTO
"Throughout the process of negotiations, we residents have been disappointed by the irresponsible attitude of the builders and the government agencies. A lot of the residents have felt so hopeless that they're on the verge of killing themselves," Chou said.
"People say the disadvantaged can have their rights protected in court. But I doubt it really," Chou said.
The Lincoln Mansions was a housing complex with over 1,000 units in Hsichih, Taipei County. Built on hillside land, the complex suffered mass damage after rain from a typhoon caused the collapse of a retaining wall behind the complex.
Twenty-eight people were killed by the collapse of several buildings and over 300 units were destroyed in the disaster. Residents of other units subsequently moved out of the complex when serious construction faults were found in the buildings after the accident.
An investigation by the prosecution found that the contractors and the designers of the complex were responsible for the accident.
Also, the investigation identified 13 Taipei County Government officials who forged documents confirming building standards in the licensing process.
The Shihlin District Court convicted 18 defendants -- five builders, one designer and twelve officials -- in 1998, while acquitting a defendant who was an official. Sentences ranged from two to 10 years prison terms.
However, the High Court reversed the lower court decision yesterday, reducing sentences for most of those convicted in the construction fault case.
The contractor for the complex, Lee Tsung-hsien (李宗賢), who was originally sentenced to 10 years and six months in jail, had his sentence reduced to four years and five months by the High Court yesterday.
The jail sentence for the designer of the residences, Lu Chung-yao (盧正堯) was reduced to eight years and six months from the original nine years and 10 months.
Moreover, the High Court found not guilty eight of the 12 previously convicted officials on the grounds of insufficient evidence. Sentences for the other guilty officials ranged from five years to seven years in jail.
Lee, the number one target of the residents' legal actions, was found guilty by the district court under charges of profiteering, falsification of documents and professional manslaughter.
However, the High Court cited a supreme court precedent in quashing Lee's profiteering charge, suggesting the charge can only be used against public servants.
An addition to the criminal proceedings, the Lincoln Mansions residents have filed civil suits against the builders and also filed requests for state compensation.
Negotiations have also continued between representatives of the residents, the builders, and the government, with meetings taking place every month.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats