Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet yesterday said there was “nothing to hide” as he inaugurated a naval base renovated in the past few years by China, after Washington voiced concern over Beijing’s role in the upgrades.
The US has said the Ream Naval Base, off Cambodia’s southern coast, could give China a key strategic position in the Gulf of Thailand near the disputed South China Sea, which Beijing claims almost in its entirety.
Construction of a new pier to accommodate much larger ships, a dry dock for repairs and other features was completed in the past few weeks.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Cambodian senior officials have repeatedly denied that the base is for use by any single foreign power, following US media reports in 2022 saying that Beijing has been secretly granted special and exclusive privileges to use the base.
Military representatives from several nations yesterday attended a ceremony marking the inauguration of the renovated Ream base, with Cambodia rolling out the red carpet for a delegation from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army.
Hun Manet hailed the opening of the upgraded port at the event, where Cambodian and Chinese flags were flown, adding that the ceremony was taking place two weeks ahead of a visit to Cambodia by Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平).
“We hold the live inauguration today because we want both Cambodian people, and people and all forces around the world to stop casting doubt about it,” he said in a speech.
“From today, Cambodia will welcome all friends to hold joint exercises in the Ream base. We have nothing to hide at all,” he added.
Hun Manet promised that the new and improved facility would not be for Beijing’s “exclusive” use and that ships from other countries would be allowed to dock.
He praised Xi’s government for help in building the expansion and other projects, describing bilateral relations as good and strong.
The ceremony featured remarks from Cao Qingfeng (曹青鋒), a senior member of the Chinese Central Military Commission, who said the port symbolized the “iron-clad friendship” between the two nations and would “inject new momentum into regional security.”
He added that the base would be used for joint military exercises, including the annual Golden Dragon drills next month.
A contingent of at least 100 Chinese sailors who have been on temporary duty at the base also took part, marching and singing.
Last month, Cambodia said a Japanese warship would be the first to dock at the Ream base.
The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force confirmed Cambodia’s invitation to Japanese ships, but refused to give any specifics, citing regular operational security regulations.
Additional reporting by AP
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats