US customs agents yesterday began collecting US President Donald Trump’s unilateral 10 percent tariff on all imports from many countries, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.
The initial 10 percent “baseline” tariff took effect at US seaports, airports and customs warehouses at 12:01am, ushering in Trump’s full rejection of the post-World War II system of mutually agreed tariff rates.
“This is the single biggest trade action of our lifetime,” said Kelly Ann Shaw, a trade lawyer at Hogan Lovells and former White House trade adviser during Trump’s first term.
Photo: Bloomberg
Shaw told a Brookings Institution event on Thursday that she expected the tariffs to evolve as countries seek to negotiate lower rates.
“But this is huge. This is a pretty seismic and significant shift in the way that we trade with every country on Earth,” she added.
Trump’s Wednesday tariff announcement shook global stock markets to their core, wiping out US$5 trillion in stock market value for S&P 500 companies by Friday’s close, a record two-day decline. Prices for oil and commodities plunged, while investors fled to the safety of government bonds.
Among the countries first hit with the 10 percent tariff are Australia, Colombia, Argentina, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UK. A US Customs and Border Protection bulletin to shippers indicates no grace period for cargoes on the water at midnight yesterday.
At midnight on Wednesday, Trump’s “reciprocal” tariff rates of 11 percent to 50 percent are due to take effect, hitting Taiwanese goods with a 32 percent tariff and EU imports with a 20 percent tariff, while Chinese goods would be hit with a 34 percent tariff, bringing Trump’s total new levies on China to 54 percent.
China yesterday said “the market has spoken” in rejecting Trump’s tariffs, and called on Washington for “equal-footed consultation.”
Several Chinese commerce associations in industries from healthcare and textiles to electronics also issued statements yesterday calling for unity in exploring alternative markets and saying the tariffs would worsen inflation in the US.
“The market has spoken,” Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Guo Jiakun (郭嘉昆) wrote on Facebook, alongside a picture capturing Friday’s falls on US markets.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats