A gross budget of NT$88 billion (US$2.66 billion) would be allocated to assist the industrial and agricultural sectors to address the effects of the latest US tariff policy on Taiwan, Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) told a news conference in Taipei yesterday.
The Cabinet unveiled government programs in support of export supply chains at the news conference after US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced a “reciprocal” tariff of 32 percent on Taiwanese imports.
The government has planned 20 measures and allocated NT$88 billion to broaden support for industries and control risks, Cho said.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
The industrial sector would receive NT$70 billion to offset administrative costs, boost industrial competitiveness, diversify markets, offer preferential taxation and stabilize employment, while NT$18 billion would go to the agricultural sector, he said.
“The Cabinet’s Trade Negotiations Office would continue to negotiate with the US government to bolster reasonable, favorable and reciprocally beneficial economic and trade relations,” Cho said.
“The Ministry of Economic Affairs, the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Labor should promptly put forward details about the 20 measures for people and industries to follow,” he said, adding that 190 hotlines would be set up under affiliated agencies by Tuesday next week to provide information on the Cabinet’s programs.
“Our evaluation showed that of all Taiwanese exports to the US, the manufacturing industry, including electronics and information technology, steel and other metals, machinery, vehicles and especially auto parts, building materials and domestic appliances would be materially affected by the increase in US tariffs,” he said.
As for agriculture and fisheries, exports of moth orchids, edamame, tea, tilapia, common dolphinfish and sea bass “might suffer from shrunken consumer markets or decreased competitiveness,” he added.
Given that the US’ tariff policy remains volatile, as Washington plans to lay out more details, the government would continue to observe the situation, and communicate with industries and society to propose pragmatic countermeasures, Cho said.
Vice Premier Cheng Li-chun (鄭麗君) said that the Cabinet in November last year set up a Taiwan-US economic and trade task force to monitor changes in US tariff policy, estimate the effects on industries and plan countermeasures.
The government would follow up on developments in the US’ policy for sectors such as semiconductors, pharmaceuticals and timber — which were not covered in the US’ announcement on Thursday — as well as their effects on overseas Taiwanese businesspeople, she said.
“Premier Cho has ordered agencies to announce the procedures and timelines by April 14 so industries could apply for the funding,” Cheng said, adding that the government would fully support the nation’s industries.
Minister Without Portfolio Jenni Yang (楊珍妮) said that in talks with Washington the government would focus on the complementary trade structure and high-tech strategic partnership between Taiwan and the US to seek bilateral trade balance.
It would also stress the US’ trade surplus with Taiwan in agricultural products and suggest including that surplus in the calculation of reciprocal tariffs, she added.
Asked whether a potential joint venture between Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) and Intel would be a bargaining chip in negotiations, Cho said that the focus would be on national interests.
There is no further information about the issue and its progress, and the government would adhere to the principle of having national interests as its sole concern, he said.
Additional reporting by Lisa Wang
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats