Two South Korean Air Force fighter jets yesterday accidentally dropped eight bombs on a village during a joint training exercise with US forces, officials said, with civilians among 15 people injured.
The KF-16 jets were participating in joint South Korea-US live-fire training exercises in Pocheon, about 25km south of the border with North Korea, military and government officials said.
The two jets accidentally released eight MK-82 general-purpose bombs — four each — which landed “outside the designated firing range,” the air force said.
Photo: EPA-EFE
“The pilot appears to have entered incorrect coordinates during the pre-flight preparation process,” an air force official told reporters.
One Pocheon resident told Yonhap news agency he was watching television when he heard the bombs explode.
“I suddenly heard an enormous explosion, like a thunderclap, and the whole house shook,” said the resident, who gave only his surname, Park.
“When I went outside, everything was in chaos,” he said.
The two aircraft were meant to fire simultaneously at a target as part of the exercise, the air force official said.
“It is believed that the first pilot entered incorrect coordinates, leading the second aircraft to drop its munitions as well,” the official said.
A South Korean Ministry of Defense official said that an investigation was under way.
“We deeply regret the unintended release of the bombs, which resulted in civilian casualties, and wish those injured a swift recovery,” the air force said in an earlier statement.
It said it would “take all necessary measures, including compensation for damages.”
Fifteen people were injured, including civilians and military personnel, the South Korean National Fire Agency said in a statement.
One church building and sections of two houses were damaged, the statement said.
Pocheon Mayor Baek Young-hyeun demanded that all military exercises cease until preventive measures were made.
“While there have been accidents where bullets bounced off targets and landed elsewhere, it is simply unimaginable that an aircraft would directly fire at civilian homes,” Baek told reporters.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats