US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said that his treasury secretary was treated “rudely” during an official visit to Kyiv, accusing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy of “sleeping” and failing to make a deal.
US Secretary of the Treasury Scott Bessent met Zelenskiy in Ukraine’s capital last week to discuss granting Washington access to rare earth minerals in return for security support.
“Scott Bessent actually went there and was treated rather rudely, because essentially, they told him: ‘No,’” Trump told reporters on Air Force One, adding: “And Zelenskiy was sleeping and unavailable to meet him.”
Photo: Reuters
Bessent “traveled many hours on the train, which is a dangerous trip, and we’re talking about the secretary of the treasury,” Trump said. “He went there to get a document signed, and when he got there, he came back empty. They wouldn’t sign the document.”
The remarks came after Trump branded the Ukrainian president a “dictator” who refuses to hold elections and said the Russians “have the cards” in any negotiation to end the war.
Zelenskiy earlier said that Trump was living in a Russian “disinformation” bubble, responding to comments by the US president about Zelenskiy’s popularity rating.
Trump has criticized US military funding for Ukraine since it was invaded by Russia and suggested this month that he wanted an agreement to access Ukraine’s rare earth material as a condition to sustain support.
Bessent was dispatched to Kyiv on Wednesday last week to discuss the matter, the first member of Trump’s Cabinet to visit Ukraine.
Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin said he would like to meet with Trump.
“I would like to have a meeting, but it needs to be prepared so that it brings results,” Putin said on Wednesday in televised remarks.
He said that he would be “pleased” to meet Trump, but added that Trump has acknowledged that a Ukrainian settlement could take longer than he initially hoped.
Additional reporting by AP
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats