Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport was yesterday expected to serve 157,000 inbound and outgoing passengers, the most since the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, airport officials said yesterday, citing airline records.
The figure, reported on the first day of the nine-day Lunar New Year holiday that began yesterday, included 76,000 departing Taiwan, Taoyuan International Airport Corp (桃園國際機場) said, adding that 176 airplanes were scheduled to take off or land at the airport.
The Aviation Police Bureau, National Immigration Agency, airport security, airlines and the military have sent 106 people including substitute military service personnel to help the airport handle the surge in passengers, it said.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
The airport, following government instructions, also issued warnings to passengers going to designations considered high risk for kidnapping or human trafficking following reports that organized crime groups were using fake tour groups to target people.
The nations identified as being frequently used by organized crime to entrap people with fake work visas and trips are Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia, the airport said.
During the peak travel period from Friday to Feb. 3, the airport could serve a total of 1.55 million passengers, or a daily average of 140,000, it said.
Photo: Lai Hsiao-tung, Taipei Times
Separately, Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) yesterday inspected the Freeway Bureau’s traffic control center, and urged travelers to use the government’s Freeway 1968 (高速公路1968) app to check road conditions before driving on freeways.
Officials have worked hard to apply artificial intelligence and big data technology to manage traffic flows, Cho told a news conference at the bureau’s center in New Taipei City.
People should use the government app to avoid being stuck on the road, especially on Lunar New Year on Wednesday and Thursday, the second day of the Lunar New Year when married daughters traditionally return to visit their parents’ home, he said.
Additional reporting by CNA
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats