Forty-four people sustained minor injuries and several houses in Tainan and Chiayi County were damaged or collapsed after a magnitude 6.4 earthquake on the Richter scale struck southeast of Chiayi at 12:17am, the National Fire Agency said yesterday as of 5:30pm.
The earthquake’s hypocenter was 37.9km southeast of the Chaiyi County Hall in Dapu Township (大埔) at a depth of 9.7km, data from the Central Weather Administration (CWA) showed.
The quake shook the ground for about 43 seconds, it added.
Photo: CNA
As of 5pm yesterday, 61 aftershocks had been recorded, including two quakes between magnitudes 5 and 6, 16 between magnitudes 4 and 5, and 43 smaller than magnitude 4, CWA data showed.
Most of the aftershocks occurred in Dapu and Tainan’s Nansi District (楠西).
The epicenter was in a geologically fractured zone close to the mountainous areas, CWA seismological center deputy director Wu Chien-fu (吳健富) told a news conference in Taipei, adding that it was the first time that a quake of at least magnitude 6.4 was recorded in the area within 30km of the epicenter since 1976.
Photo: Chang Tsung-chiu, Taipei Times
The earthquake was not caused by the Meishan Fault (梅山斷層), as the epicenter was about 50km from it, Wu said, adding that more research is needed to study the relations with three other faults near the epicenter.
Aftershocks measuring magnitude 5 or higher could occur in southern Taiwan in the next three days, Wu said.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp (台積電) issued a statement yesterday morning saying that workers at some of its factories in central and southern Taiwan were evacuated as soon as the earthquake struck.
As of 1am yesterday, it had completed a survey of its facilities and confirmed that no personnel were injured, it said, adding that production has resumed after ascertaining that none of its buildings were damaged.
Construction at the sites for new factories also resumed yesterday morning following a post-quake inspection, the company said.
Most injuries and housing damage were reported in Tainan and Chiayi, the fire agency said.
Houses in Tainan’s Yuchin (玉井) and Nansi districts were severely damaged, including a six-story building in Yuchin, the Tainan City Government said yesterday, adding that 28 people from the two districts stayed in temporary shelters after the earthquake.
Footage posted on Mirror Media showed firefighters in Tainan rescuing a slightly injured couple, their one-month-old child and their dog from a collapsed home in Nansi.
Nansi Elementary School, which is near the epicenter, also reported severe damage to its classrooms, auditorium and walls around the campus.
Tainan Mayor Huang Wei-che (黃偉哲) said that civil and structural engineers would submit a list of dangerous buildings this morning.
Residents who were evacuated from the six-story building, which has three broken pillars, were allowed to enter the building to retrieve important personal belongings after the building was temporarily supported by an H-beam, Huang said.
People whose lives have been disrupted by the earthquake would be given a solatium to help them get through the Lunar New Year holiday next week, he said.
The National Taxation Administration of Southern Area said it would assist taxpayers affected by the earthquake when they file for relief from income tax, housing tax, land value tax and six other tax items.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary