Staff writer, with CNA
Increased activity by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) near Taiwan this week was likely not a response to President William Lai’s (賴清德) recent stopovers in the US, the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said yesterday.
“The elevated activity in the East China Sea and South China Sea follows a broader increase in the PLA’s military posture and military exercises over the last several years. With that said, we do not see this wider activity as a response to President Lai’s transit,” an AIT spokesperson said.
Photo: Chiang Ying-ying, AP
“We [the US] continue to call on the PRC [People’s Republic of China] to avoid any destabilizing or escalatory actions that might undermine regional peace and stability and will continue coordinating with allies and partners regarding our shared concerns,” the spokesperson said.
China from Monday to Wednesday designated seven areas east of Zhejiang Province and its Fujian Province as “temporary reserved” airspace, which typically indicates airspace reserved for military activities.
Foreign media reported that the PLA activity could mean another round of military exercises in response to Lai’s trip to the South Pacific from Nov. 30 to Friday last week, which included stopovers in Hawaii and the US territory of Guam.
The AIT said that although Beijing has not announced a “Joint Sword” military exercise in response to Lai’s transits, the elevated military activity in the region was consistent with levels the US has seen during other large exercises.
China’s latest military activity in the area followed the identification of 100 PLA aircraft operating around Taiwan in a 48-hour period starting at 6am on Monday.
The Ministry of National Defense earlier yesterday said that in the 24 hours to 6am, it had detected 34 Chinese military aircraft operating around the nation, down from 53 aircraft it reported the previous day.
However, there was a rise in PLA Navy ships in the area to 16 from 11 the prior day, the ministry said.
Twenty-two of the planes crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and flew into Taiwan’s northern, southwestern and eastern air defense identification zone, a ministry map showed.
Two officials familiar with the security situation in the region said that PLA Navy and China Coast Guard vessels are moving north, showing signs that the forces are being pulled back.
The defence ministry later on Thursday night said that an emergency response centre set up earlier this week to deal with recent Chinese military activities had been disbanded, likely signalling the end of to China’s manoeuvres around the island.
Separately, US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin on Wednesday told the DefenseScoop news Web site that the Pentagon is keeping a close eye on security conditions in and around Taiwan.
“Certainly, this latest activity is something that we will continue to monitor and make sure that nobody does anything to change the status quo in the [Taiwan Strait],” Austin told a news conference closing out a trip to Japan, the site reported.
“Our policy hasn’t changed. We’ll continue to do what we can to help Taiwan acquire the means to defend itself. Again, that work continues on. But this latest activity — we’ll continue to monitor it and see what happens,” he said.
Austin also expressed confidence that the U.S. military will continue to have the capacity and focus to deter China and work with its allies to promote peace around the Indo-Pacific, even as conflicts around the Middle East and in Ukraine continue to expand.
Additional reporting by Reuters
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats