The Pacific Islands Forum has endorsed a plan to boost police numbers among its members, cutting the need to rely on external forces in a crisis, with China security ally Solomon Islands supporting the Australian-funded initiative yesterday.
The bloc of 18 nations has the potential to play a strong and active role in regional security, Cook Islands Prime Minister Mark Brown, the forum’s chairman, said on the final day of an annual meeting of leaders.
The Pacific Islands were “a region of collaboration and support and working together, rather than a region of competition and a region where other countries look to try to gain an advantage over us,” he told a news conference in Tonga.
Photo: EPA
Some analysts see the plan to set up a regional policing unit to be deployed to tackle major incidents as a move by Australia to block China’s growing police presence in the region, amid strategic rivalry between Beijing and Washington.
The Solomons, which has police ties with Australia, the forum’s largest member, as well as China, which is not a member, said it had agreed to the Pacific Policing Initiative.
“We also endorse, as part of developing this initiative, the importance of national consultation, so that it is owned and driven by countries, so we really do appreciate the initiative,” Solomon Islands Prime Minister Jeremiah Manele said.
Tongan Prime Minister Siaosi Sovaleni said it would reinforce the existing regional security architecture.
The leaders also agreed to the terms of a fact-finding mission to New Caledonia, riven by months of riots, for talks with relevant parties to try and resolve the crisis, he said.
In addition, the forum accepted US territories Guam and American Samoa as associate members, a final communique showed.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats