The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Thursday ordered the US units of China Telecom Corp (中國電信), China Unicom Hong Kong Ltd (中國聯通) and China Mobile Ltd (中國移動) to discontinue fixed or mobile broadband Internet operations in the US.
The FCC said it was requiring the Chinese carriers to discontinue services within 60 days of the effective date of the net neutrality order approved on Thursday.
The order also applies to Chinese telecom Pacific Networks Corp (太平洋網路) and its wholly owned subsidiary ComNet (USA) LLC.
Photo: AP
The commission previously had barred the companies from providing telecommunications services and those decisions were upheld by US courts.
FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel on Thursday said the commission had evidence that Chinese telecoms were providing broadband services in the US.
The FCC cited national security concerns in revoking or denying Chinese companies the right to provide US telecommunications services.
Chinese telecom firms are “subject to exploitation, influence and control by the Chinese government,” the agency said.
The Chinese telecom companies did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
FCC Commissioner Geoffrey Starks said China Telecom’s Web site shows that the company operates 26 so-called Internet “Points of Presence” (POPs) in the US and offers colocation, broadband, IP transit and data center services.
The FCC cited national security concerns about Chinese access to POPs typically located within data centers.
“They are interconnecting with other networks and have access to important Points of Presence and data centers,” Starks said, urging “a closer look at the threats that adversarial providers pose to our data and data centers.”
The FCC since 2022 has been studying vulnerabilities that it says threaten the security and integrity of the Border Gateway Protocol, central to the Internet’s global routing system.
This is the latest action by Washington to restrict Chinese telecom carriers including on undersea cables handling Internet traffic.
The FCC previously barred approvals of new telecommunications equipment from China’s Huawei Technologies Co (華為), ZTE Corp (中興) and other companies saying they pose “an unacceptable risk” to US national security.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary