A food poisoning outbreak in Taipei is limited to the Polam Kopitiam (寶林茶室) restaurant in Far Eastern Department Store Xinyi A13 (Xinyi A13), Deputy Minister of Health and Welfare Victor Wang (王必勝) said yesterday, after two people who felt ill after eating at another branch of the restaurant tested negative for bongkrek acid poisoning.
The outbreak occurred among people who ate at Polam Kopitiam in Xinyi A13, from March 19 to 24, with most of them having eaten a stir-fried flat rice noodle dish called char kway teow (炒粿條).
Bongkrek acid is a rare toxin produced by contamination with a bacterium, especially in fermented coconut or corn food products. On Friday, it was found in blood samples taken from eight people who had been hospitalized after eating at the restaurant, including two people who died.
Photo courtesy of the Taoyuan Department of Public Health
As of 5:30pm yesterday, 31 people had reported feeling ill after eating at the restaurant chain. Aside from the two people who died, five are in intensive care, three are in general wards and 21 had returned home to rest, the CDC said.
One of the five people in intensive care is improving, while the remaining four are in a coma, Wang said.
As bongkrek acid affects the liver, kidneys and brain, their conditions are still critical, he added.
Blood samples were also taken from 13 people who did not need to be hospitalized, but had reported feeling ill after eating at the restaurant in Xinyi A13, Wang wrote on Facebook.
Of the 13, four have tested positive for bongkrek acid, while nine results have not yet come back, he said.
Two people who ate at the Raohe Night Market (饒河夜市) branch of the restaurant tested negative for the toxin, he added.
A comprehensive analysis of the data received so far suggests the food poisoning outbreak is limited to the restaurant in Xinyi A13 from March 19 to 24, so people should not be overly concerned, he said.
Of the ingredients collected at the restaurant for testing, the soy sauce and dark soy sauce tested negative for bongkrek acid, while the pandan leaves were not artificial, Wang wrote, adding that other ingredients are still being tested.
As the flat rice noodles collected from the restaurant (which had been restocked on March 23), the supplier and other businesses that had bought from the supplier tested negative for bongkrek acid, flat rice noodles sold on the domestic market are unlikely to have been affected, he said.
"I still think the flat rice noodles are the most likely ingredient to have caused the food poisoning outbreak, and I speculate the problem occurred in the Polam Kopitiam branch in Xinyi A13, with only that batch of flat rice noodles affected, but they have been used up,” Wang said.
The Taipei City Government on Saturday fined Polam Kopitiam in Xinyi A13 NT$2 million (US$62,520) because its product liability insurance had expired and NT$500,000 for not reporting one of its branches when asked.
Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) yesterday said the restaurant’s three other branches in the city did not have valid product liability and public liability insurance, so the Taipei Department of Health would also fine them up to NT$3 million each.
The health department on Saturday began inspecting food courts at department stores and large business venues.
Yesterday, it said that the food courts of two department stores — the Eslite (誠品) Spectrum Nanxi Store (南西店) and the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi (新光三越) Taipei Station Store (台北站前店) — had been inspected on Saturday.
Of the 39 vendors inspected at the two food courts, 16 had environment or hygiene issues, one did not have product liability insurance, and several were unable to provide registration documents when asked to submit them, the health department said.
The vendors were asked to rectify the issues within a given period, and would be fined if they fail their next inspection.
Additional reporting by CNA
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats