The government is to test a medium Earth orbit satellite system on Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島) at the end of next month and aims to activate the low Earth orbit system OneWeb in the first half of this year, the Ministry of Digital Affairs said yesterday.
Tests of two satellite systems are part of the ministry’s two-year verification plan, which was launched last year to use non-geostationary satellites to bolster the digital resilience of the nation’s communication networks in times of crisis.
A geostationary satellite system is being used for communication purposes on Taiping Island, with its bandwidth accounting for only one-fifth of the medium Earth orbit system, Minister of Digital Affairs Audrey Tang (唐鳳) told a news conference.
Photo: Reuters
“Once the medium Earth orbit satellite system is launched, the bandwidth available on Taiping Island would increase fivefold. The test on the island is scheduled for the end of next month,” she said.
OneWeb is to be activated during the first half of this year, she added.
“We are to discuss with the Ministry of National Defense about including verification of digital resilience in its military exercises this year. This would help defense officials gauge the bandwidth it would need and plan for the installation of satellite gateways,” she said.
Department of Communication and Cyber Resilience Director-General Cheng Ming-tsung (鄭明宗) said that 16 ground gateways for low and medium Earth orbit systems have been built.
The digital ministry would complete the installation of the medium Earth orbit system should the test on Taiping Island go successfully, Cheng said.
“We would not verify one satellite system only. We are aiming to build a diverse, heterogeneous and resilient communication system. Tests on other satellite systems would be conducted as long as they meet national security and cybersecurity requirements,” he said.
The verification plan would test the first-generation OneWeb satellite system, with signals coming from gateways in Japan, Thailand and Guam, he said.
“We will support Chunghwa Telecom Co’s (中華電信) procurement of the second-generation OneWeb satellite system, and gateways would need to be built here on Taiwan proper for the signals to cover the entire nation,” Cheng said.
The satellite systems are mainly for political use and military command systems, not for the public to access the Internet, Deputy Minister of Digital Affairs Lee Huai-jen (李懷仁) said.
Aside from testing satellite systems, the ministry said that it would bolster protection of the nation’s critical infrastructure, such as submarine cables, Radio Taiwan International and National Police Radio.
Builders of critical infrastructure and relevant service providers must have cybersecurity protection plans to prevent potential disruptions of services caused by natural disasters, terrorist attacks or cybersecurity breaches, it said.
They must stipulate procedures to detect, report and recover from cybersecurity breaches, it said, adding that the National Communications and Cyber Security Center is in charge of monitoring the operation of critical infrastructure, assisting operators in addressing cybersecurity and sharing intelligence.
Last year, the center shared 760,336 pieces of cybersecurity information with critical infrastructure operators, it said.
Meanwhile, the ministry said it aims to accelerate the construction of a 5G system and broadband services around the nation — particularly in urban areas and outlying islands — by offering incentives to telecoms.
As of last year, about 97.4 percent of Taiwanese were covered by 5G, while the average high-speed broadband service coverage rate had risen to 76.29 percent, it said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats