Film director Hou Hsiao-hsien (侯孝賢) is to retire from cinema due to Alzheimer’s disease, his family said in a brief statement yesterday.
The announcement came on the heels of an IndieWire report that said Hou had retired due to dementia, citing among its sources a remark by an associate and film expert Tony Rayns in an introduction during the screening of Hou’s 1985 film A Time to Live and a Time to Die (童年往事).
Hou’s office in Taipei has closed its doors and its employees dismissed, the film industry and review Web site said.
Photo: Wang Wen-lin, Taipei Times
Hou’s son yesterday said in a statement that his father had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and that he had been making the long-awaited Shulan River (舒蘭河上) despite his condition until a COVID-19 infection forced an end to the project.
The family expressed hope that Hou’s friends and fans would not be saddened by his retirement, and that Hou “found his love for movies to have become more purified” before catching COVID-19.
“Hou has returned fully to family life following his recovery [from COVID-19] and he is in good mental and physical condition,” his son said, urging the public to give Hou space to enjoy his life with loved ones.
Photo: Reuters
Although Hou would not complete Shulan River, his works have already garnered acclaim from critics around the world, including many film classics that “assuredly will withstand the tides of time and be remembered,” his son said.
“Hou’s passion and approach to filmmaking will continue to live in his comrades and fans,” he said. “We give our most sincere thanks.”
Hou’s company is to continue operations, his son said.
Photo courtesy of Activator Co. Ltd.
Hou rose to international fame after his 1989 film City of Sadness (悲情城市) won the Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival.
The director’s later works, including The Puppetmaster (戲夢人生), Flowers of Shanghai (海上花) and Three Times (最好的時光) won plaudits at global movie festivals and independent film events.
Hou released his last film, The Assassin (刺客聶隱娘), in 2015, for which he received the Best Director award at that year’s Cannes Film Festival.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats