The Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism yesterday announced its third batch of countries that Chinese tour groups can visit — with Taiwan conspicuously left out of the list.
Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Jan Jyh-horng (詹志宏) said that the government has conveyed through various communication channels Taiwan’s sincerity and goodwill in promoting tourism, but so far there has been no positive response on China’s part.
China’s latest list covers 78 countries, including Japan, South Korea, the UK and the US.
Photo: Chung Li-hua, Taipei Times
As China reopened to the world, it announced its first list of target destinations for tour groups on Feb. 6 and its second list on March 10, which covered 60 countries.
China’s Taiwan Affairs Office on May 19 announced that Chinese travel agencies can host tour groups arriving from Taiwan, saying that the matter does not require cross-strait negotiations.
Taiwan, on the other hand, allows individuals to travel to China, but bans travel agencies from organizing group tours to China.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) last month reiterated that both Taiwan and China must mutually show goodwill before normal cross-strait tourism could resume.
“We do not ban individuals from traveling to China, but China prohibits its own people from traveling to Taiwan individually or through package tours. They hope tour groups from Taiwan can come visit, and likewise we hope Chinese tour groups can come,” Wang told reporters.
Taiwan’s exclusion from the list is the result of deteriorating cross-strait relations and a lack of mutual trust, a Taiwanese tour operator told the Taipei Times on condition of anonymity.
While Beijing might have factored the upcoming presidential election into its consideration when it excluded Taiwan from the list, the operator said that both sides need to quickly resume negotiations through the Taiwan Strait Tourism Association and the Association for Tourism Exchange across the Taiwan Strait, which represent Taiwan and China respectively.
Both sides have already missed two great opportunities to break the ice and communicate with one another, the operator said.
For the Cross-Strait Summer Travel Fair in Taipei last month, which was held in conjunction with the Taipei International Summer Travel Expo, China was planning to send a delegation comprising officials and tourism operators from nine Chinese provinces.
Of the 212 members who were planning to attend, the Mainland Affairs Council only gave entry permits to 137 Chinese tour operators, staff members and entertainers participating in the travel fair, and denied entry to all Chinese officials, the operator said.
While travel agencies from China and Taiwan last week met in Hefei City in China’s Anhui Province for a conference, no representative from the Taiwanese government participated, the operator said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary