Heavy rains battered northern China yesterday, killing at least two people in Beijing while washing away vehicles and forcing the capital to issue its highest alerts for flooding and landslides.
Doksuri, a former super typhoon, has swept northward over China since Friday last week, when it hit southern Fujian Province.
Emergency personnel recovered two bodies from waterways in Beijing’s Mentougou District, the People’s Daily reported.
Photo: video obtined by Reuters
Reporters saw tree branches and dented vehicles left by receding floodwater strewn on riverbanks in Mentougou yesterday afternoon.
“This morning it was crazy, the water overflowed the Mentougou River and the whole avenue was flooded,” said Guo Zhenyu, a 49-year-old resident.
Yellow bulldozers, workers in orange raincoats and residents cleared away the mud and debris during a period of lighter rain in the afternoon.
“I’m old, but I’ve never seen flooding like this before in my life,” Mentougou resident Qin Quan said.
She showed a video on her smartphone, shared among residents of the area, of workers attempting to resuscitate an unconscious man, as well as footage of a man desperately clinging to a pole with one hand as water washed over him.
The much larger and still swollen Yongding River in the same district churned up debris in brown torrents as residents looked on in shock from a bridge.
Other footage shared by a Mentougou resident showed a traffic barrier dozens of meters long snaking down a road as the water carried it away.
Chen Hong, a resident of the southern Fengtai District, shared footage that showed a parked van half-submerged in fast-flowing brown water on Monday morning as the rain continued to fall.
Residents in Chen’s neighborhood cleared mud outside their homes with shovels during a brief respite from the downpour.
“Once it starts raining the road turns into a drain, and there’s water on the first floor inside houses,” Chen, 52, said.
“The houses here are all old houses, so there are definitely concerns about safety,” she said.
A section of road surface in outer Fangshan District caved in under rising water, local media reported.
Hundreds of bus services in the capital were suspended, Xinhua news agency reported.
The Beijing government issued the highest flood warning for the suburban Dashihe River, while nearby city Tianjin also issued a flood alert.
Social media users uploaded footage of vehicles swept away by muddy torrents and thoroughfares turned into rapids on the outskirts of the city.
The streets of central Beijing were quieter than usual yesterday morning as residents heeded official recommendations to work from home, with only a handful of delivery drivers braving pools of water seen in usually packed bike lanes.
China has been experiencing extreme weather and posting record temperatures this summer, events that scientists say are being exacerbated by climate change.
Experts have warned that the ongoing downpour could prompt even worse flooding than in July 2012, when 79 people were killed and tens of thousands evacuated, local media reported.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats