Entertainer Aaron Yan (炎亞綸) and comedian “Nono” Chen Hsuan-yu (陳宣裕) are facing allegations of sexual assault as controversies rock showbusiness after a recent spate of accusations against political and media figures.
The Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office last night announced a probe into allegations that Yan leaked a sex video of himself and musician Chiu Yao-le (邱耀樂), who uses the nickname Raku on YouTube.
Earlier in the day, Yan upstaged a news conference that Chiu had called.
Photo: CNA
Yan entered the room, bowed twice to Chiu as the latter broke down in tears, and spoke for about 10 minutes before Chiu had composed himself.
Chiu, who lowered his head when Yan entered the room and did not look up for some time, asked Yan: “Was it you who disseminated the sex video?”
Yan denied doing so, saying that it was leaked after he took his mobile phone to be repaired.
File photo: Taipei Times
He has said that a technician downloaded the video and circulated it among his friends.
Chiu said he was not sure about accepting Yan’s apology.
Prosecutors later launched an investigation, saying that the allegations went beyond mere sexual harassment, as Chiu has said that he was 16 when he was in the relationship with Yan.
File photo: Taipei Times
Judicial officials said that as Chiu was underage at the time, Yan might have contravened the Child and Youth Sexual Exploitation Prevention Act (兒少性剝削防制條例) by having sex with a minor and disseminating a sex video involving a minor.
An investigation is under way, prosecutors added.
Yan and comedian Chen are among several figures in the entertainment industry mired in sexual misconduct scandals in the past few days after allegations against entertainer Mickey Huang (黃子佼), actor and singer Wang Yu-sheng (王宥勝), and show host and comedian Jeffery Hsu (許傑輝).
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office called on people to provide evidence and testimony to initiate an investigation after several women, including YouTuber Anissa (小紅老師), accused Chen of forcing himself upon them in vehicles and parking lot washrooms.
Chen initially denied knowing Anissa and others who posted the accusations online and said he could not recall any such incidents.
However, more than 20 women have made accusations since Tuesday that Chen assaulted them.
Anissa yesterday told a news conference that she had been in touch with the other accusers.
Chen’s agent wrote on Facebook that the comedian would stop taking part in entertainment events with immediate effect and would undergo “sincere reflection.”
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats