US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Friday said that his visit to China today aims to open up better communications “by addressing misperceptions and avoiding miscalculations,” as US lawmakers urged him to also visit Taiwan.
“Intense competition requires sustained diplomacy to ensure that competition does not veer into confrontation or conflict,” Blinken said. “That is what the world expects of both the United States and China.”
Blinken is today and tomorrow to hold talks in Beijing on the first trip by a top US diplomat in nearly five years.
Photo: AFP
The trip was rescheduled after the US canceled a planned Beijing visit by Blinken in February after Washington said it detected — and later shot down — a Chinese spy balloon.
The first goal of the trip to China is “to establish open and empowered communications, so that our two countries responsibly manage our relationship,” Blinken told a news conference.
He said the aim was also to set the record clear on US interests and values, and to explore areas of possible cooperation, including on global economic stability, fighting drug trafficking, and climate and health issues.
He added he would also raise the issue of US citizens detained by China.
Blinken was speaking in a joint news conference with visiting Singaporean Minister for Foreign Affairs Vivian Balakrishnan.
Balakrishnan said the Asian region had its eye on US-China relations, calling it “the challenge of the century.”
“This is a very important and critical moment, not just for the United States and China,” he said.
“The rest of the world will be watching. So we hope and believe that you will be able to manage the differences,” he said.
On Thursday, a group of US representatives called on Blinken to stop over in Taiwan during his China trip.
In a letter, the lawmakers said that the visit would be consistent with the original intent of the Taiwan Travel Act, which “encourages high-ranking US executive branch officials to visit Taiwan and meet with their counterparts.”
Such a visit would also enable Blinken to address concerns regarding delays in the delivery of US weapons systems to Taiwan.
“Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it would send a clear message that the United States does not need a permission slip from the Chinese Communist Party to meet with our friends and allies in Taiwan — or anywhere else,” the letter said.
The letter was signed by US representatives Tom Tiffany, Scott Perry, Nancy Mace, Byron Donalds, Dan Crenshaw, Andy Ogles and Earl Carter.
Additional reporting by staff writer
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats