Three former members of a Hong Kong group that organized annual vigils to mark China’s 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre, were yesterday found guilty of not complying with a national security police request for information.
Chow Hang-tung (鄒幸彤), 38, a prominent Hong Kong democracy advocate and former vice-chairperson of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, was among those convicted by the magistrate court.
Two other former standing committee members of the alliance, Tang Ngok-kwan (鄧岳君) and Tsui Hon-kwong (徐漢光), were also found guilty.
Photo: Reuters
The now-disbanded alliance was the main organizer of Hong Kong’s June 4 candlelight vigil for people killed in the Tiananmen Square Massacre. Every year it drew tens of thousands of people.
Since Hong Kong’s massive pro-democracy protests in 2019, authorities have not allowed the vigil to take place on COVID-19-related grounds.
The alliance disbanded in September 2021 after authorities arrested several senior members of the group, including Chow.
The trial started late last year, more than a year after the defendants were arrested. The alliance was accused by prosecutor Ivan Cheung (張大有) of being a “foreign agent” for an unnamed group, after allegedly receiving HK$20,000 (US$2,548) from it.
Chow denied this in court, saying it was an independent civil society group run by Hong Kongers, and that the case amounted to “political persecution.”
“The existence of an independent organization like us that can check power is essential to the security of a nation, not a threat,” she told the court.
Magistrate Peter Law (羅德泉), who was hand-picked to hear national security cases by Hong Kong’s Beijing-backed leader, said in a written judgement that it was necessary for the police to “ascertain the background” of the group given its political activities and “nexus of interactions with local and non-local organizations and people.”
Sentencing is expected on Saturday with a maximum jail term of six months for this particular offense.
Chow has already served two prison terms for unlawful assembly linked to her involvement in organizing Tiananmen commemoration events, but still faces a separate, graver charge of subverting state power through the alliance.
Some key details of the case, including the overseas organizations and individuals alleged to have ties to the alliance, were kept confidential after the prosecutor applied for “Public Interest Immunity,” saying that the disclosures would the harm public interest.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats