The current military situation across the Taiwan Strait could take a turn for the worse if not handled cautiously, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said yesterday, adding that the nation’s armed forces are always prepared and constantly sharpen their abilities.
At a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign and National Defense Committee, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus whip William Tseng (曾銘宗) voiced concerns over the delay of several arms sales, which might affect the combat capabilities of the armed forces.
Chiu said that concern “is what the enemy hopes for,” as it allows them to make a move before Taiwan is prepared, but the armed forces “would not be sitting around waiting,” and would continue to train with existing weapons.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
The armed forces are always preparing for war and continuing to improve, Chiu said, adding that they could readily switch from a peacetime footing to a wartime one when the situation demands.
Chiu said that his ministry had agreed to raise the monthly salary for mandatory conscripts from NT$6,510 to NT$15,000 “if everyone thinks it’s acceptable.”
The military initially hoped the monthly salary could be increased to NT$25,000 based on the minimum wage, which is to be raised to NT$26,400 per month and NT$176 per hour next year, Chinese-language Credere Media reported on Wednesday last week, but the Executive Yuan had proposed raising a conscript’s monthly salary to NT$15,000 based on the minimum cost of living, which varied from NT$14,000 to NT$19,000 in different cities and counties.
Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) on Thursday last week said that raising conscripts’ monthly salary to NT$15,000 was acceptable.
Separately yesterday at a meeting of the legislature’s Judiciary and Organic Laws and Statutes Committee, Tseng asked about the impact on Taiwan of Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) being granted a third term at the head of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Central Politburo Standing Committee.
National Security Bureau (NSB) Deputy Director-General Chen Chin-kuang (陳進廣) said that at the CCP’s 20th National Congress on Saturday the party included a clause in its constitution saying that it is “adamantly against Taiwan’s independence.”
Chen said that the newly appointed vice chairman and several members of the Central Military Commission have served in the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command or the Vietnam War.
When China’s economic growth begins to slow and its grip on society encounters challenges, the CCP might take action to shift the public’s attention from domestic affairs to foreign affairs, he said.
Asked by Tseng whether the NSB thought a war would break out in the Taiwan Strait within three years, Chen said: “Taiwan has to be prepared for every possible situation.”
When pressed for a response on the possibility of war within a year, Chen said: “We will not rule out the possibility” that Beijing, in a bid to divert some of its internal pressure, could use coercion as an approach, forcing Taiwan to reach a peace deal on the premise of unification.
Additional reporting by Aaron Tu
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary