China’s Internet censors yesterday removed virtually all references to reports of a rare protest in Beijing that involved banners denouncing Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) and the country’s COVID-19 policies.
Beijing is on high alert against any disruption to a landmark Chinese Communist Party (CCP) meeting that is scheduled to begin tomorrow, at which Xi is expected to secure a historic third term.
Incoming parcels and subway commuters have been subjected to additional security checks, and armies of volunteers have been deployed in every neighborhood to report anything out of the ordinary.
Photo: screenshot from Fang Zhouzi’s Twitter account
However, video footage and pictures that spread online on Thursday appeared to show a defiant protester draping two hand-painted banners with slogans criticizing the CCP’s policies on the side of a bridge in Beijing.
“We want food, not PCR tests. We want freedom, not lockdowns. We want respect, not lies. We want reform, not a Cultural Revolution. We want a vote, not a leader. We want to be citizens, not slaves,” one banner read.
The other banner called on people to go on strike and remove “the traitorous dictator Xi Jinping.”
Other images showed a person in a hard hat standing on the bridge behind the banners, as well as smoke rising from a fire on the bridge and police rushing to remove the banners.
There was no sign of the banners or their writer when Agence France-Presse journalists arrived at the scene of the reported protest. There appeared to be an elevated police presence near the site, but residents said they had not seen the banners being unfolded.
Public protests are extremely rare in the Chinese capital, and those who defy Beijing’s strict security apparatus face serious punishment.
By yesterday morning, Chinese social media censors had blocked posts and keywords related to the protest, including “Sitong Bridge,” the name of the overpass where the slogans appeared to have been displayed.
Search results for the keyword “Beijing” on Sina Weibo were restricted to just verified accounts, instead of the usual torrent of regular users’ posts about the capital.
On Twitter some users said their accounts had been temporarily disabled on another major Chinese platform, WeChat, after they shared photos of the protest.
However, such a rare protest at a time of extreme political sensitivity caught attention. Yesterday morning a hashtag “I saw it,” in which people referenced the incident without referring to it, had been viewed more than 180,000 times before it was deleted.
A reply asking what the hashtag referred to was answered by a user saying “go search on Twitter, sister, if you search for a certain capital, you can find everything.”
Other commenters referenced the Les Miserables song Do You Hear the People Sing?, which was briefly censored in 2019 after it became a popular protest song in Hong Kong.
Many comments alluded to a revolutionary saying made famous by Mao Zedong (毛澤東): “A tiny spark can set the prairie ablaze.”
Some Internet users claimed to have identified the protester, including the Chinese dissident and former CCP insider Cai Xia (蔡霞), who posted screenshots on her Twitter account purporting to be days-old deleted Twitter postings from the protester.
Fang Shimin (方是民), a US-based Chinese science writer better known by his pen name Fang Zhouzi (方舟子), said the same slogans displayed on the bridge had days earlier been posted to his ResearchGate account by the man believed to be the protester.
US Senator Todd Young on Thursday praised the protesters in a statement on Twitter.
“Inspiring courage by some Chinese citizens speaking truth to power in the heart of Beijing. They will undoubtedly be punished by the authorities but I pray their acts will encourage more Chinese citizens to fight for a better future than the one imposed on them by the CCP,” he wrote.
Additional reporting by Helen Davidson and staff writer
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary