The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 476 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, 35 backlogged cases and 37 deaths.
Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that most of the total of 511 cases live in New Taipei City, with 229 cases, followed by Taipei with 144, Miaoli County with 66, Taoyuan with 16, Keelung with 13 and Changhua County with 11.
Taichung reported nine new cases; Hsinchu County seven; Pingtung County four; Kaohsiung as well as Nantou and Chiayi counties reported three each; and Hsinchu City, Yunlin County and Tainan reported one new case each.
The 37 dead are 25 men and 12 women, who were aged from their 30s to their 90s, Chen said.
It was the highest daily COVID-19 death toll in Taiwan, where 224 people have died of the disease since the pandemic began.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), head of the CECC’s disease surveillance division, said one of the deceased was a man in his 30s who lived in a high-infection risk area in Taipei. The man had been hospitalized since the middle of last month and died on Tuesday.
He did not mention underlying health conditions, Chou said.
CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞), deputy chief of the center’s medical response division, said an analysis on all the COVID-19 fatalities as of Friday showed that 89.1 percent were aged 60 or above, with an average age of 72.
Among the dead, 81.7 percent had underlying health conditions, and the average time between the onset of symptoms and death was 8.3 days, he said.
The increase in deaths in the past few days reflects the peak in case counts in the middle of last month, when elderly people accounted for the largest proportion of confirmed cases, some of whom later developed severe symptoms and died, he said.
Among the 9,368 cases confirmed since April 20, 1,659 people, or 17.7 percent, developed severe pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome, he said.
Among the 3,471 confirmed cases aged 60 or above, the figure is higher at 1,155 people, or 33.3 percent, he added.
Chen said that the center yesterday morning held an online session to improve the quality of care for severe COVID-19 patients, including a talk on the clinical treatment of severe cases by National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUH) Hsinchu Branch superintendent Yu Chung-jen (余忠仁), and a talk on care practices in COVID-19 intensive care units (ICU) by NTUH isolation ICU division director Ruan Sheng-yuan (阮聖元).
The session was attended by about 3,900 healthcare professionals, he said.
Lo said that if a person with severe COVID-19 develops a critical and irreversible condition, their physician may discuss the option of a do-not-resuscitate order with the patient’s family, but it is not the general guideline.
There are five main guidelines for treating people with severe COVID-19: non-invasive respiratory support through high-flow nasal cannula therapy or mask; endotracheal intubation; the use of antiviral medication remdesivir; the use of monoclonal antibodies and steroids; and the use of anticoagulants in patients with high risk of blood clotting.
The participants in the online session raised concerns about silent hypoxia in people with mild symptoms, as they do not experience any breathing difficulty, but might experience a sudden and rapid drop in blood oxygen level, leading to a high risk of death, Lo said.
The CECC and local governments have tried to move all of the people hospitalized with COVID-19 to quarantine facilities where healthcare professionals can monitor their conditions, he said.
Chen said the mortality rate of COVID-19 in Taiwan has increased from more than 1 percent to about 2 percent yesterday.
Asked if the center would raise the COVID-19 alert to level 4, meaning a nationwide lockdown, to prevent the virus from spreading further, Chen said the outbreak situation needs to be further observed, adding that the CECC specialist advisory panel has not recommended such a step.
Separately, sources said the CECC has reported to the Executive Yuan that it is considering extending the level 3 alert for two more weeks, until June 28.
The Cabinet has asked the Ministry of Education to make preparations for extending the suspension of classes in case the level 3 measures are extended, as parents would need to be informed in advance, sources added.
Additional reporting by Lee Hsin-fang
BUSY DAY: The same day the USS ‘Barry’ passed through the Strait, Taiwan was ending its Han Kuang military exercises, while China said it conducted an exercise near Taiwan A US Navy ship on Friday sailed through the Taiwan Strait, marking the ninth time a US military vessel has transited the Strait since US President Joe Biden took office in January. The USS Barry, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, conducted a “routine” transit through the Strait, the US Navy said in a statement, adding that the journey through international waters was conducted “in accordance with international law.” “The ship’s transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the US’ commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the US Navy said. “The United States military flies, sails and operates anywhere international law allows.” The Ministry
PINGTUNG EXERCISE: The pilots tested their ability to land on the 24m-wide provincial highway, preparing for a scenario in which dedicated airstrips are damaged Emergency landing and takeoff drills for military aircraft were held on a provincial highway for the first time early yesterday as part of Taiwan’s Han Kuang military exercises, testing the ability of pilots and aircraft to land on narrow roads were airstrips to be damaged. The drill began at 6:30am on a 2.26km section of Provincial Highway No. 1 linking Pingtung County’s Jiadong (佳冬) and Fangliao (枋寮) townships. An Indigenous Defense Fighter, an F-16V, a Mirage 2000-5 and an E-2K early warning aircraft participated. The planes landed on the highway in that order at 6:30am, 6:32am, 6:34am and 6:36am before taking off at
FRUIT SPAT: The COA said China had not given evidence for halting wax and custard apple imports, adding that it would spend NT$1bn on promoting sales of the fruit Taipei threatened to take China to the WTO yesterday after Beijing said it would suspend wax apple and custard apple imports from Taiwan due to pest concerns. China’s customs administration earlier yesterday said it had repeatedly found pests called Planococcus minor, a type of mealybug, on wax and custard apples from Taiwan. It asked its Guangdong branch and all affiliated offices to stop clearing the products from today. China had acted unilaterally, without providing scientific evidence, Council of Agriculture (COA) Minister Chen Chi-chung (陳吉仲) told a news conference, criticizing the announcement’s timing, as it came during the Mid-Autumn Festival, celebrated in Taiwan
‘ONE-OFF’ DEAL: Australia would become the only state, after Britain, that the US has helped to build a nuclear fleet, which a White House official called ‘unique’ The US on Wednesday announced a new alliance with Australia and Britain to strengthen military capabilities in the face of a rising China, with Canberra to receive a nuclear submarine fleet and US cruise missiles. US President Joe Biden, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson did not mention China in unveiling their alliance, dubbed AUKUS — but their intent was clear, and their announcement prompted fury in Beijing. China yesterday condemned the deal as an “extremely irresponsible” threat to stability in the region. The agreement also left Paris furious, as Australia scrapped a US$40 billion 2016 deal to