Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) yesterday warned of China’s military resolve to defeat “invaders,” speaking on a 70th anniversary remembrance of the Korean War, the only time Chinese forces have fought the US.
In a long speech, heavy on patriotism and flecked by anecdotes of heroism by Chinese forces, Xi said that victory in the 1950 to 1953 conflict was a reminder that his nation stood ready to fight anyone “creating trouble ... on China’s doorstep.”
Beijing frequently uses war anniversaries to fire thinly covered warnings to the US of the military strength of the “new China.”
The Korean War is a key foundation story for the Chinese Communist Party.
The anniversary comes as the party is called out by US President Donald Trump, in a bitter row spanning trade, technology, human rights and Taiwan.
Without explicitly naming the US, Xi loaded up with the historical precedent of the Korean War and took swings at modern day “unilateralism, protectionism and extreme egoism.”
“Chinese people don’t create troubles, nor are we afraid of them,” Xi said to applause.
“We will never sit back and watch any damage to our national sovereignty ... and we will never allow any force to invade or divide the sacred territory of the motherland,” he said.
On Wednesday, the Pentagon announced it had agreed to sell more than US$1 billion dollars of missiles to Taiwan, the sharpest potential flashpoint with US forces.
The Korean War was the first and so far only time Chinese and US forces have engaged in large-scale direct combat.
According to the Chinese government, more than 197,000 Chinese soldiers died during the three-year war, which saw the US-led UN coalition pushed back to the 38th parallel bisecting the Korean Peninsula, after China weighed in on the side of North Korea’s communist army.
The war, essentially fought to a bloody stalemate, is hailed in China as a victory and an example of resilience and spirit against a more advanced foe.
“When China was very poor, it didn’t surrender to US pressure,” an editorial in the state-run Global Times said this week. “Today, China has grown to be a strong country, so there is no reason for China to fear the US threats and suppression.”
With tensions at their highest in decades between Beijing and Washington, China is making much of the 70th anniversary of its forces entering the fight, intended as much for domestic consumption as it is a warning to its superpower rivals.
Chinese state media have unleashed a wave of propaganda with daily interviews with Chinese veterans of the war during prime-time news over the past week.
An action-thriller Sacrifice, directed by three of the biggest names in Chinese cinema and depicting a small band of Chinese troops holding off US forces in the final days of the war, hit cinemas across the country yesterday.
“This should be seen as a message directly addressed to the United States, there is no ambiguity here,” Alice Ekman, an analyst specializing on China at the EU Institute for Security Studies said before the speech.
“Xi is invoking the spirit of war in a broad sense,” she said.
China and North Korea have worked to improve relations in the past two years after they deteriorated as Beijing backed a series of UN sanctions against Pyongyang over its nuclear activities.
Xi and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un have met five times since March 2018, even as nuclear negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang have hit a standstill.
By commemorating the anniversary, “China is declaring to the US that it was not afraid of the US in the past, and is still not afraid of the US now,” said Shi Yinhong (時殷弘), professor of international politics at Renmin University in Beijing.
“It’s to prepare for a possible limited military conflict with the US”, Shi said.
MAKING A MOVE: Starting on Monday, short-term business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods, while transits of up to eight hours would be allowed The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced an easing of restrictions that would from Monday next week allow foreigners to visit or make a transit flight in Taiwan. A policy allowing short-term business travelers from countries with low or medium risks of COVID-19 infections to apply for shorter quarantine periods is also to resume that day. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to be extended after the end of this month, special conditions for foreign nationals to enter Taiwan would be restored from Monday. Foreign nationals
‘UNFRIENDLY’: COA Minister Chen Chi-chung said that Beijing probably imposed the sanction because the pineapple production season is about to start in Taiwan More than 99 percent of pineapples sold to China passed inspections, the government said yesterday, after China earlier in the day abruptly suspended imports of pineapples from the nation, which Taipei called an “unfriendly” move. From Monday, China is to stop importing pineapples from Taiwan, the Chinese General Administration of Customs said. The regulation is a normal measure for ensuring biosafety, China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokesman Ma Xiaoguang (馬曉光) said in a news release later yesterday. Since last year, Chinese customs officials have repeatedly seized pineapples imported from Taiwan that carried “perilous organisms,” Ma said. Were the organisms to spread in China, they would
CONTINUED VIGILANCE: People would still be required to wear masks at eight types of public spaces and border controls would continue, Chen Shih-chung told reporters The government’s autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to continue beyond Sunday, but eating and drinking on high-speed trains would be allowed from Monday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while there were no new confirmed cases in Taiwan yesterday, the global COVID-19 situation remains serious, so the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program would be extended beyond its Sunday deadline. “Border control measures, including requiring a negative polymerase chain reaction test result obtained within three days of boarding a plane to Taiwan, and undergoing quarantine in a
MORE RISK? Three Taiwanese family members were found to have the Brazilian variant, which CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo said might be more infectious From Wednesday, all travelers who have been in Brazil in the past 14 days are required to be quarantined at a centralized facility after arriving in Taiwan and undergo a COVID-19 test upon ending quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that starting from 12am on Wednesday, all travelers arriving from Brazil, including those who have transited through the country in the past 14 days, would have to stay at a centralized quarantine facility. “They will be tested for COVID-19 upon completing the 14-day quarantine, and they