OBI Pharma Inc (台灣浩鼎) chairman Michael Chang (張念慈) was yesterday morning released after posting NT$1 million (US$30,914) bail, as prosecutors listed him as a defendant on insider trading charges.
Chang and four other OBI Pharma executives were summoned for questioning at the Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office in Taipei on Friday, after judicial investigators searched the company headquarters and its laboratories to gather evidence earlier that day.
Prosecutors said they had made breakthroughs in the investigation and therefore questioned the other four company executives, including OBI Pharma general manager Huang Hsiu-mei (黃秀美), head of research and development Yu Cheng-te (游丞德), administration division manager Liao Tsung-chih (廖宗智) and finance division manager Chang Sui-fen (張穗芬), to gather information related to the case.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Prosecutors said there is sufficient evidence of their involvement in insider trading to list them as defendants in the case, but they were released without bail yesterday.
OBI Pharma yesterday issued a statement, saying the company did not engage in any illegal activities, and asked the justice agencies to conduct a fair and unbiased investigation to clear the company of the charges.
The statement criticized the search process, with judicial investigators confiscating private documents and material containing proprietary business information, some of which relates to the company’s core technology development, including results of more than 10 years of research, which it said would adversely affect the rights of company shareholders if leaked and deal a severe blow to the nation’s pharmaceutical, healthcare and bioscience industries.
Academia Sinica President Wong Chi-huey (翁啟惠), a prominent Taiwanese-American biochemist and research scientist, has also been embroiled in the affair.
He returned to Taiwan from the US on Friday and met with President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to discuss the case; he again apologized to the public for the controversy, saying he was not involved in insider trading and had no intention of manipulating OBI Pharma shares, some of which were held in his daughter’s name.
While he was in the US, Wong tendered his resignation on March 31, but Ma rejected it.
In related news, Academia Sinica yesterday settled on three candidates for its next president, with the list to be forwarded to the Presidential Office for selection, Academia Sinica Vice President Wang Fan-sen (王汎森) said.
Additional reporting by Wu Po-wei
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats