It is a historical fact that the then-Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government led the war against Japanese aggression from 1937 to 1945, whether on the front lines or behind enemy lines, Presidential Office spokesperson Charles Chen (陳以信) said yesterday.
Chen was responding to remarks by former vice president Lien Chan (連戰), who said during a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) in Beijing yesterday that the KMT under the leadership of former president Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) engaged directly with Japanese troops in major battles, handing the latter a major setback, and that Chinese Communist Party (CCP) troops led by former Chinese leader Mao Zedong (毛澤東) also tied down the enemy behind their lines and eventually defeated the Japanese aggressors.
“The Nationalist forces ... fought a series of decisive and major battles on the front lines and dealt the Japanese military a heavy blow,” Lien told Xi, according to Shanghai news Web site guancha.cn.
Photo: CNA
“The Chinese Communist Party forces led by Mao Zedong effectively pinned down and intercepted the Japanese and the collaborationist militaries on the battlefield behind enemy lines,” added Lien, a former KMT chairman.
Xi said Nationalists and Communists “cooperated and coordinated” in the campaign and that “both made significant contributions to the victory of [the so-called ‘Chinese People’s War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression and the World Anti-Fascist War’],” China’s Xinhua news agency reported.
“Chinese across the Taiwan Strait must keep history in mind, remember national heroes and become united to savor the fruits of victory and jointly advance the peaceful development of our relations,” Xinhua quoted Xi as saying.
The Presidential Office said that the CCP did little to resist Japanese aggression during the Second Sino-Japanese War.
“Whether it came to engaging in combat with Japanese troops on the front lines or behind enemy lines, it was all led by the Nationalist government, which is a historical fact that cannot be denied,” Chen said.
Chen said that the government’s stance is that “it is inappropriate” for Taiwanese to attend China’s military parade tomorrow — at which Lien is expected to be present.
Beijing has held a series of events to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II, with tomorrow’s military parade considered to be the highlight of the festivities.
The CCP — which defeated the KMT in the Chinese Civil War, forcing the latter to flee to Taiwan — depicts itself as having played the lead role in defeating Japan.
Taiwan said events being held by Beijing distort historical facts, as it was the KMT who fought all the major battles against Japan during an eight-year war before Allied forces intervened.
KMT presidential candidate Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱) yesterday said that she has great respect for Lien, who she said has made significant contributions toward cross-strait peace.
However, Hung added that, given his position, Lien should consider the Taiwanese perspective when making public comments.
Additional reporting by Chang Hsiao-ti
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats