The Taipei District Court yesterday ruled in favor of the Ministry of National Defense against former minister of national defense Chen Chao-min (陳肇敏) over a miscarriage of justice 18 years ago in which 21-year-old air force serviceman Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶) was wrongly executed.
According to the ruling, Chen and other military officials responsible for the wrongful conviction of Chiang in 1996 and his execution the following year were liable to compensate the ministry a total of NT$59.55 million (US$1.98 million).
In a posthumous ruling in 2011, Chiang was acquitted of the charges that he sexually abused and murdered a five-year-old girl.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
His case was reopened only after the Control Yuan found in 2010 that Chiang had been tortured by military investigators before a speedy trial ordered by Chen, who was then the air force commander-in-chief.
After offering Chiang’s family NT$130 million in 2011 in compensation for his death, the ministry sued Chen and other military officials involved in the wrongful execution in 2012, because they had refused to admit guilt for the case, except for former counterintelligence agent Teng Chun-huan (鄧震環), who had paid the ministry NT$2.8 million.
The ministry demanded that Chen, former air force command legal department director Tsao Chai-sheng (曹嘉生), former military prosecutor Huang Jui-peng (黃瑞鵬) and air force counterintelligence officials Ko Chung-ching (柯仲慶), Ho Tsu-yao (何祖耀) and the heirs of Lee Chih-jen (李植仁), pay the ministry NT$14.74 million each.
The Taipei District Court ordered Chen and Ko to pay the ministry NT$14.74 million each, Tsao and Ho NT$8.59 million each, and Lee’s children NT$12.89 million, while Huang was found not liable for compensation.
The ruling was not a final verdict.
“We will consider whether to appeal the ruling after we read the court’s judgement,” said Yang Tsung-chien (楊從健), head of the Military Northern District Court, which filed the lawsuit on behalf of the ministry.
The ministry respected the ruling, but the amount of compensation imposed on the defendants was short of what the ministry had requested, Yang said.
Judicial Reform Foundation executive director Kao Jung-chih (高榮志) commended the ruling, but said that an investigation by prosecutors at the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office should quicken its pace and the military officials involved should be held criminally accountable.
“It’s been a year and a half since the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office’s decision not to indict Chen and the others involved was rejected by the Taiwan High Prosecutors’ Office. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office could be abusing its power by not prosecuting the military officials involved,” Kao said.
Chen could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Ho complained about the ruling to reporters last night.
He said he did not intend to have Chiang falsely convicted, adding that he only did what he was told to do.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats