The Presidential Office yesterday said that it has formed a task force to examine the state of its security after a driver crashed his truck into the front gate of the office building in Taipei earlier that day.
Chang Te-cheng (張德正), 41, drove the 35-tonne vehicle into the building at 5:05am, police said.
Chang was driving the truck at 72kph and it took him five seconds to travel the approximately 208m from Huaining Street to the Presidential Office on Chongqing S Road, Taipei City Zhongzheng First Precinct Police chief Fang Yang-ning (方仰寧) said.
The Presidential Office immediately implemented security measures and informed President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who is on a state visit to Sao Tome and Principe, about the incident.
Later, Presidential Office Secretary-General Timothy Yang (楊進添) presided over a closed-door meeting with the National Security Bureau, the National Police Agency and related government branches in the afternoon aimed at strengthening the security around the office.
At a press conference held afterward, Yang said the task force would examine the security measures in place across from the Presidential Office on Ketagalan Boulevard and the Presidential Residence on Aikuo E Road.
It will then present a report on reinforcing those measures, he added.
“President Ma is paying great attention to the incident. He instructed all relevant government agencies to follow standard procedures in handling the issue and assist in the investigation to ascertain the suspect’s motive,” he said.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) spokesman Lin Chun-hsien (林俊憲) yesterday said the security around the Presidential Office was loose, adding that the truck could have been carrying explosives.
DPP Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) accused the building’s security team of neglecting its duties, saying that the system for monitoring all vehicles passing through Jingfu Gate (景福門) on Ketagalan Boulevard had failed, despite a ban barring trucks and trailers from driving into the Boai Special District (博愛特區), where the office is located.
Yang responded to the criticism at the press conference, defending the military police’s handling of the matter and saying that they had adopted the necessary measures, including closing a bullet-proof glass door to protect the front gate, to minimize the damage.
Fang said preliminary investigations had concluded that the incident was premeditated, but prosecutors have ruled out politics as a motive.
Vice President Wu Den-yih (吳敦義), who was visiting Greater Taichung yesterday, expressed regret over the incident, but stated his confidence in security officials’ ability to reinforce safety measures.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary