Noodle manufacturers yesterday accused the government of failing to protect businesses by publicizing their names before further investigation had been completed and not asking for inspection details from the Singaporean government, which earlier this week said that 11 Taiwanese-made food products contained maleic anhydride-modified industrial starch.
Greater Tainan’s regional specialty, known as Guanmiao noodles (關廟麵), has been listed among food products found by Singaporean authorities to be tainted with the industrial starch.
The Greater Tainan Government’s health department had randomly inspected six items, of which four were products and two ingredients, and yesterday affirmed that it found no illegal additives.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
Twenty of Tainan’s Guanmiao noodle manufacturers, including Shan-chih, whose Guanmiao noodles exported to Singapore were said to be among the 11 products found to contain maleic acid and were asked to be removed from shelves, held a press conference yesterday, accompanied by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Mark Chen (陳唐山) and Greater Tainan City Councilor Wang Ding-yu (王定宇).
They accused the government of passivity and inaction in clearing the name of Guanmiao noodles.
“The noodles are all made according to the traditional process of mixing flour, water and salt, and drying the product in the sun,” one manufacturer said, emphasizing that starch is not used at all and that the noodles’ chewiness does not result from starch.
“Not only did the government fail to confirm with the Singaporean authority its testing results and methods, domestically it has also failed to clarify the issue and vindicate the Guanmiao noodle industry, which involves thousands of people’s livelihoods,” said Wang, who called for the government’s endorsement of the product.
Food and Drug Administration official Liu Fang-ming (劉芳銘) reaffirmed that the latest test results showed no evidence of industrial starch in the noodles and said the relevant authority is now trying to straighten out the matter by asking Singapore for further information.
Meanwhile, the legislature’s Social Welfare and Environmental Hygiene Committee has proposed to raise the penalty against those contravening the Act Governing Food Sanitation (食品衛生管理法) from between NT$30,000 and NT$150,000 (US$996 and US$4,979) to a maximum of NT$15 million.
Those who break the law by adding prohibited chemicals to food would be sentenced to two to seven years in jail, while causing corporal damage with banned chemicals would lead to seven to 10-year sentences, said Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Su Ching-chuan (蘇清泉), the committee convener.
He added that the heaviest punishment would be a life sentence if the offense results in deaths.
Separately yesterday, Chen Tien-chueh (陳天爵), director-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Department of International Information Service, said the ministry would schedule a meeting to brief the diplomatic corps to help them understand the situation.
Amid concerns that the food safety scandal has tarnished the nation’s reputation as a reliable and safe exporter of food, the ministry has come under criticism for failing to clear the name of Taiwanese food in the international market.
The Department of International Information Service was the target of criticism because it is in charge of handling international public relations.
Facing a string of media queries at a press briefing yesterday about how the food safety scandal has evolved in other countries, Chen could not answer any of them. He said Singapore was the only country that has raised concerns.
While Malaysia’s Ministry of Health has followed Singapore’s example and suspended imports of 11 Taiwanese starch-based products on Wednesday, Chen made no mention of it at the news briefing and could only confirm the news yesterday evening.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying