Myanmar's state radio and television announced yesterday that Prime Minister General Khin Nyunt has been replaced by a hardline member of the country's ruling military junta, Lieutenant General Soe Win.
The brief announcement said Khin Nyunt was "permitted to retire for health reasons," a euphemism used in the past for the forced ouster of Cabinet members.
PHOTO: AP
The radio said Soe Win would become the new prime minister, moving from his high-ranking post of secretary-1 of the junta, which is officially called the State Peace and Development Council.
Both announcements were signed by the junta's supreme leader, Senior General Than Shwe.
Khin Nyunt, also head of military intelligence, had a reputation as a relative moderate compared to the more hardline generals who were his seniors.
Soe Win, 56, is believed to espouse a hard line in dealing with the country's pro-democracy movement, led by detained Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, and the country's foreign critics who want the army to hand over power to an elected government.
Soe Win is a former military commander of Myanmar's Sagaing region in the northwest who became air defense chief in November 2001.
He joined the junta as secretary-2 in February 2003, and was promoted to secretary-1 in an August 2003 Cabinet shake-up, replacing Khin Nyunt, who became prime minister.
Khin Nyunt's move to the prime minister's post last year was interpreted by some as a gesture toward reconciliation with the pro-democracy movement, while other analysts thought Soe Win's promotion was more significant.
He is believed by some diplomats and government critics to have been involved in a May 2003 attack on Suu Kyi and her followers in northern Myanmar by a mob of government supporters. Suu Kyi has been detained since the attack.
Yesterday's announcement said Soe Win would be succeeded as secretary-1 by Lieutenant General Thein Sein, moving up a step in the junta's hierarchy.
No announcement was made of who would replace Khin Nyunt in the influential post of military intelligence chief.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats