In what appeared to be another slap in the face to Taiwan by the World Health Organization (WHO), four Taiwan medical experts have been invited to a global SARS conference but their invitations have been sent to China, a source from the Presidential Office said yesterday.
The cards, said the source, were in the hands of the Beijing-based Chinese Medical Association (CMA) as of press time last night.
A Chinese-language newspaper yesterday said that China was attempting to insert material into the invites showing that the Taiwan experts were attending the conference with the permission of China.
The Presidential Office source, however, could not be reached to verify this, or explain how China could alter the invitations.
The Geneva-based WHO refused to confirm whether the invitation cards had been sent directly to Taiwan or through China.
"I have no idea," said WHO spokesman Dick Thompson when asked where the WHO sent the cards.
Thompson said he did not even know whether the WHO had already sent out the invitations and that he had no intention of bothering the conference organizers to clarify the situtation.
The global SARS conference will be held in Malaysia's Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel, close to the nation's capital city, Kuala Lumpur, on June 17 and 18.
A wide range of SARS-related issues will be discussed during the two-day conference. The session on the first day will open with reports on global and national response to the epidemic.
Taiwan is not on the list of five nations and one region invited to present their national response.
The WHO aske four Taiwanese experts, Su Ih-jen (蘇益仁), director of the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Ho Mei-shang (何美鄉), an Academia Sinica reseacher, and two doctors, Chang Shang-chwen (張上淳) and Chen Pei-jer (陳陪哲), to join the conference.
Chang is chief of the infectious disease department at National Taiwan University Hospital and Chen a virologist from the same hospital.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary