The Department of Health (DOH) yesterday reported the first mass infection of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, after seven staff members at Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital came down with symptoms of the disease.
An intern at the hospital was also thought to have contracted the disease.
"The seven hospital staff who came down with the disease include a doctor, two nurses, two laundry workers, an administrator and an X-ray technician," said Lee Lung-teng (李龍騰), deputy director-general of the DOH.
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
Two patients at the hospital are also suspected of having contracted the disease.
Yesterday evening, Yang Ker-ping (
She said the school would be closed for 10 days.
The DOH said a task force had been formed to trace the origin of the infection, which was discovered at around midnight on Tuesday.
Lee, however, said that the mass infection at the hospital was different from community spread of SARS. The DOH has imposed quarantine measures on the staff and their relatives, Lee said.
The DOH is investigating whether a 37-year-old male patient in the hospital could be the index patient in the latest infections.
"The patient was first diagnosed with cellulitis and later developed pneumonia. However, his contact history and travel history show no links to SARS cases," Lee said.
The patient has been transferred to National Taiwan University Hospital. Lee said the patient's long-term drug addiction had led to the weakening of his immune system.
"Therefore, his coughing and fever symptoms were not very obvious," he said.
Lee said the doctor tending to him was infected perhaps because it was difficult to detect the patient's SARS-like symptoms among his other ailments.
The other patient thought to have been infected with SARS at the hospital was an 82-year-old man.
"He was admitted to the same ward as the first patient. But when he was sent to the hospital, he did not have pneumonia," he said.
Lee said six out of the nine cases at the hospital had been listed as probable SARS cases.
After these cases were reported, the DOH and Taipei City's Health Bureau formed a joint team consisting of clinical experts, epidemiologists and health officials to investigate the mass infection.
Wu Kang-wen (
When asked whether the hospital's two laundry workers were infected when washing the patients' bed sheets or clothing, Wu said no clear explanation was available yet.
"We are still investigating the transmission routes of the infection," Wu said.
The DOH has imposed stringent measures to curb further spread of SARS in the hospital.
The measures include an overall disinfection of the hospital building and the suspension of the hospital's emergency services.
Chiou Shu-ti (
"The patients already staying in the hospital will not be moved. But their health conditions need to be tracked for two weeks after they are discharged," Chiou said.
"The hospital will not receive new inpatients for two weeks. Whether the period should be extended depends on whether the hospital's outbreak can be contained," she said.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying