The world’s largest military says it’s serious about investigating unexplained objects in America’s skies and will ask service members — and eventually ordinary people — to submit what they think might be alien sightings.
That reporting feature will be included on a new a Web site — www.aaro.mil — that the Pentagon is launching as part of efforts to detail its work to get to the bottom of a slew of incidents in recent years. Those encounters have confounded the national security establishment and provoked accusations that the government is covering up what it knows.
The Web site will document the Defense Department’s unclassified work on what it describes as “unidentified anomalous phenomena” and will offer links to reports, frequently asked questions and other data for alien hunters.
Photo: AFP
It will include a secure way to submit sightings “for consideration and review,” Pentagon spokesman Brigadier General Pat Ryder told reporters Thursday. That feature is aimed at dispelling what some fighter pilots have said was a stigma against reporting what they believe could be encounters with extraterrestrial life.
Initially, only service members and civilian Pentagon employees will be able to submit reports. As for regular Americans?
“That is something that we will look to do in the future but I don’t have an estimate right now in terms of when the public will be able to submit reports,” Ryder said.
Interest in the alien sightings exploded into the mainstream in 2020 when the Pentagon released videos taken by naval aviators that showed unexplained objects flying at high speed and moving in ways that defied explanations. During congressional hearings in July, three former military officers described encounters with what they called high-tech, unexplained flying objects. One accused the US of secretly holding onto extraterrestrial wreckage.
At those hearings, retired Navy commander David Fravor described an encounter with a “white Tic Tac shaped object” during one flight.
“There were no rotors, no rotor wash, or any visible flight control surfaces like wings,” he testified. He said the device maneuvered abruptly, changed direction rapidly and “defied material science.”
Another witness, David Grusch, who has claimed whistleblower status, said he knows of the “exact locations” of some recoveries, which included what he called non-human biological matter.
The US military says it has no evidence that interstellar travelers have visited Earth. But in a further sign of the Pentagon’s seriousness, Ryder said Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks has been appointed to lead the team that oversees the tracking and reporting of such unexplained encounters, known as the All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office.
That US assistance was a model for Taiwan’s spectacular development success was early recognized by policymakers and analysts. In a report to the US Congress for the fiscal year 1962, former President John F. Kennedy noted Taiwan’s “rapid economic growth,” was “producing a substantial net gain in living.” Kennedy had a stake in Taiwan’s achievements and the US’ official development assistance (ODA) in general: In September 1961, his entreaty to make the 1960s a “decade of development,” and an accompanying proposal for dedicated legislation to this end, had been formalized by congressional passage of the Foreign Assistance Act. Two
March 31 to April 6 On May 13, 1950, National Taiwan University Hospital otolaryngologist Su You-peng (蘇友鵬) was summoned to the director’s office. He thought someone had complained about him practicing the violin at night, but when he entered the room, he knew something was terribly wrong. He saw several burly men who appeared to be government secret agents, and three other resident doctors: internist Hsu Chiang (許強), dermatologist Hu Pao-chen (胡寶珍) and ophthalmologist Hu Hsin-lin (胡鑫麟). They were handcuffed, herded onto two jeeps and taken to the Secrecy Bureau (保密局) for questioning. Su was still in his doctor’s robes at
Last week the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said that the budget cuts voted for by the China-aligned parties in the legislature, are intended to force the DPP to hike electricity rates. The public would then blame it for the rate hike. It’s fairly clear that the first part of that is correct. Slashing the budget of state-run Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) is a move intended to cause discontent with the DPP when electricity rates go up. Taipower’s debt, NT$422.9 billion (US$12.78 billion), is one of the numerous permanent crises created by the nation’s construction-industrial state and the developmentalist mentality it
Experts say that the devastating earthquake in Myanmar on Friday was likely the strongest to hit the country in decades, with disaster modeling suggesting thousands could be dead. Automatic assessments from the US Geological Survey (USGS) said the shallow 7.7-magnitude quake northwest of the central Myanmar city of Sagaing triggered a red alert for shaking-related fatalities and economic losses. “High casualties and extensive damage are probable and the disaster is likely widespread,” it said, locating the epicentre near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay, home to more than a million people. Myanmar’s ruling junta said on Saturday morning that the number killed had