A preschool teacher in Taipei’s Xinyi District (信義) was indicted in August last year on charges of alleged sexual assault and offenses of forced obscenity against six girls. Prosecutors said the man was suspected of sexually abusing at least 20 girls.
There has been public anger toward not only the perpetrator, but also some government agencies that were accused of not being proactive enough.
The teacher, Mao Chun-shen (毛畯珅), is the son of the owner of Taipei Piramide School (私立培諾米達信義幼兒園), and prosecutors said they found that he possessed more than 600 sexually explicit images or videos of children he allegedly abused.
Parents reported the first suspected case to the authorities in July 2022. However, after watching the preschool’s surveillance footage, prosecutors found no clear signs of any wrongdoing, and Mao was not suspended from his teaching job, while the preschool was allowed to enroll more students. Prosecutors did not charge him due to a lack of evidence.
After more parents accused him of sexual abuse, prosecutors indicted and detained Mao in July last year — a year after the first case was reported.
There has been a public outcry, because the Taipei City Government seemed to have quickly dismissed the case in 2022, while prosecutors were still investigating it, allowing Mao to continue teaching.
Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安), who took office in December 2022, bowed and apologized on July 19 to those affected by the case, accepted responsibility and promised that the city government would improve its policies.
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), Chiang’s predecessor as Taipei mayor, on the same day said there is room for improvement, and during investigations officials should be “protecting children,” while not “causing parents panic and deciding a suspect is guilty before any ruling.”
He also said that “apologizing is the easiest, but what is the use if you cannot solve the problem?” He was seemingly shifting the blame to Chiang.
However, Chinese-language Mirror Magazine on Tuesday last week revealed the city government’s meeting minutes from July and August 2022, when Ko was mayor. They showed that the education and social welfare departments were aware of the complaints, but passed the buck to each other and failed to follow up, with a document marked: “Noted and filed for reference.”
The city government on Friday last week announced 10 steps to improve policies and said the two departments would face a performance review committee.
It might be a relief to some parents that the preschool was shut down. The Taipei District Court is expected to reach a verdict in the case next month, and the city government has admitted its negligence and promised to revise its policies to prevent similar cases, including requiring the immediate suspension of suspects from teaching once a sexual assault report is made.
However, while seeking justice and holding officials accountable are important, the harm caused to victims and their family is irreparable. The victims should be carefully supported.
Laws must also be reviewed to better define which government agencies are responsible for handling such cases.
Moreover, the case is also a reminder for parents and schools to reconsider when they should start teaching children about the difference between appropriate and inappropriate touching to prevent sexual abuse. Parents and schools should trust children when they report uncomfortable experiences, while education and social welfare officials should receive periodic training so that they can handle such cases better.
Concerns that the US might abandon Taiwan are often overstated. While US President Donald Trump’s handling of Ukraine raised unease in Taiwan, it is crucial to recognize that Taiwan is not Ukraine. Under Trump, the US views Ukraine largely as a European problem, whereas the Indo-Pacific region remains its primary geopolitical focus. Taipei holds immense strategic value for Washington and is unlikely to be treated as a bargaining chip in US-China relations. Trump’s vision of “making America great again” would be directly undermined by any move to abandon Taiwan. Despite the rhetoric of “America First,” the Trump administration understands the necessity of
US President Donald Trump’s challenge to domestic American economic-political priorities, and abroad to the global balance of power, are not a threat to the security of Taiwan. Trump’s success can go far to contain the real threat — the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) surge to hegemony — while offering expanded defensive opportunities for Taiwan. In a stunning affirmation of the CCP policy of “forceful reunification,” an obscene euphemism for the invasion of Taiwan and the destruction of its democracy, on March 13, 2024, the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) used Chinese social media platforms to show the first-time linkage of three new
If you had a vision of the future where China did not dominate the global car industry, you can kiss those dreams goodbye. That is because US President Donald Trump’s promised 25 percent tariff on auto imports takes an ax to the only bits of the emerging electric vehicle (EV) supply chain that are not already dominated by Beijing. The biggest losers when the levies take effect this week would be Japan and South Korea. They account for one-third of the cars imported into the US, and as much as two-thirds of those imported from outside North America. (Mexico and Canada, while
The military is conducting its annual Han Kuang exercises in phases. The minister of national defense recently said that this year’s scenarios would simulate defending the nation against possible actions the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) might take in an invasion of Taiwan, making the threat of a speculated Chinese invasion in 2027 a heated agenda item again. That year, also referred to as the “Davidson window,” is named after then-US Indo-Pacific Command Admiral Philip Davidson, who in 2021 warned that Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had instructed the PLA to be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. Xi in 2017