The Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) presidential candidate, New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜), on Thursday last week revealed his energy policy, saying that he would not phase out nuclear power if elected. He would also reopen all decommissioned nuclear power plants, and review the decision to stop construction of the never-finished Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮).
Setting goals of reaching a “zero-coal Taiwan” by 2040 and a “net zero Taiwan” by 2050, Hou said that if elected, he would restart the Jinshan and Guosheng nuclear power plants in New Taipei City’s Shihmen (石門) and Wanli (萬里) districts, and extend the life of Pingtung County’s Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant, while establishing a safety review committee to assess the possibility of finishing the Gongliao plant.
Ignoring that nuclear power accounted for only 8 percent of Taiwan’s electricity generation and 6.9 percent of power consumption in the first half of this year, opposition presidential candidates are again looking to nuclear power as a magic elixir to achieve the nation’s zero carbon emission goal — and as a strategic campaign weapon.
Hou plans to raise nuclear power’s contribution to the nation’s energy mix to 18 percent. Taiwan Power Party Chairman Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), who is also running for president, has similarly called for restarting and extending the life of nuclear power plants.
Only Vice President William Lai (賴清德), the Democratic Progressive Party’s presidential candidate, has vowed to stick to his party’s goal of making Taiwan a nuclear-free country by 2025. Still, he does not rule out keeping some nuclear power capability in case of emergencies such as a Chinese-led blockade or an invasion.
None of the candidates have come up with feasible plans to deal with the problems surrounding nuclear power, including the disposal of spent fuel rods, some of which are kept in reactors due to a lack of storage space. They also have not addressed issues with storing nuclear waste, especially highly radioactive waste. More than 100,000 barrels of low-level radioactive waste on Orchid Island (Lanyu, 蘭嶼) need to be removed because of a storage deadline that has long since passed.
Some nuclear power advocates cite the EU as having designated nuclear power as “green” energy, but that resolution was controversial when it passed the European Parliament last year, with 278 members voting against it and 33 abstaining. The parliament also set a strict requirement for proper nuclear waste disposal.
Hou and Ko need to specify assurances for the safety of nuclear power, especially the Gongliao plant, the construction of which has been suspended for three decades, especially as voters in a 2021 referendum rejected finishing and operating it.
However, the bigger problem for Hou and Ko is “integrity.” As the New Taipei city mayor, Hou has repeatedly said that with “no solution for nuclear waste, no nuclear power,” and “no safety, no nuclear power.” He and his administration also persistently rejected Taiwan Power Co’s proposal to build a new dry storage facility for spent nuclear fuel, although a court ruled in favor of the utility in a lawsuit against the city.
Ko in 2021 also soundly opposed the referendum on the Gongliao plant, and said that given Taiwan’s limited space and high population, there would always be unsolved issues with nuclear waste storage and how to evacuate areas near plants in a nuclear disaster. “It is the reality Taiwan should face,” he has said.
Politicians always make U-turns on their positions for electoral gains, but energy policy and long-term safety should never be a sacrifice or trade-off. This is what Taiwanese should recognize when they cast their votes next year.
Concerns that the US might abandon Taiwan are often overstated. While US President Donald Trump’s handling of Ukraine raised unease in Taiwan, it is crucial to recognize that Taiwan is not Ukraine. Under Trump, the US views Ukraine largely as a European problem, whereas the Indo-Pacific region remains its primary geopolitical focus. Taipei holds immense strategic value for Washington and is unlikely to be treated as a bargaining chip in US-China relations. Trump’s vision of “making America great again” would be directly undermined by any move to abandon Taiwan. Despite the rhetoric of “America First,” the Trump administration understands the necessity of
US President Donald Trump’s challenge to domestic American economic-political priorities, and abroad to the global balance of power, are not a threat to the security of Taiwan. Trump’s success can go far to contain the real threat — the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) surge to hegemony — while offering expanded defensive opportunities for Taiwan. In a stunning affirmation of the CCP policy of “forceful reunification,” an obscene euphemism for the invasion of Taiwan and the destruction of its democracy, on March 13, 2024, the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) used Chinese social media platforms to show the first-time linkage of three new
If you had a vision of the future where China did not dominate the global car industry, you can kiss those dreams goodbye. That is because US President Donald Trump’s promised 25 percent tariff on auto imports takes an ax to the only bits of the emerging electric vehicle (EV) supply chain that are not already dominated by Beijing. The biggest losers when the levies take effect this week would be Japan and South Korea. They account for one-third of the cars imported into the US, and as much as two-thirds of those imported from outside North America. (Mexico and Canada, while
The military is conducting its annual Han Kuang exercises in phases. The minister of national defense recently said that this year’s scenarios would simulate defending the nation against possible actions the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) might take in an invasion of Taiwan, making the threat of a speculated Chinese invasion in 2027 a heated agenda item again. That year, also referred to as the “Davidson window,” is named after then-US Indo-Pacific Command Admiral Philip Davidson, who in 2021 warned that Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had instructed the PLA to be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. Xi in 2017