Investment scams and phishing advertisements on social media platforms have become more rampant, with some scammers even using the names and headshots of celebrities to commit fraud.
The Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) on March 9 met with several government agencies and international corporations to crack down on such activities. Officials from the National Communications Commission, the Fair Trade Commission and the Ministry of Digital Affairs, as well as representatives from Google and Meta Platforms Inc, participated in the meeting and exchanged their views.
The FSC decided to establish a reporting system in collaboration with online platforms. Through this system, scam advertisements are reported to the authorities first, and the online platforms must take action and remove them as soon as possible.
During a meeting of the legislature on March 31, Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁), in response to lawmakers’ questions about tackling illicit online activities, said that a government anti-fraud task force had been organized, and it would announce response measures and plans within a month.
A few days after the FSC’s meeting with Google and Meta, I submitted an op-ed piece to the Liberty Times (The Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) saying that the planned mechanism has some blind spots.
First, the reporting system involves the issue of attribution, namely, it is uncertain who or which organization is responsible once a scam is reported.
Second, the administrative capacity of the government might not be adequate enough to monitor fraudulent advertisements.
Regrettably, my concerns were immediately confirmed. Over the past few days, people might have seen an advertisement for “Hsiao-chun Stock Investment Class” (筱君存股班), which misappropriated the name and photographs of senior reporter and TV host Liao Hsiao-chun (廖筱君). As of the time that this was written, the scam advertisement was still on Facebook, recruiting members for free.
The advertisement was approved by Facebook on Friday. After being reported by the public, the scam might be removed after a few days.
However, it is worth noting that cybercriminals are as unrelenting as Marvel Comics’ paramilitary terrorist organization “Hydra.” Even though officials and civilians have worked hard to report these scams and have them removed, more fraudulent advertisements will appear again in a day or two.
Obviously, the current reporting system as designed by well-intentioned government officials is not the right antidote for cybercriminals.
Chen said that a government anti-fraud task force would propose some measures by the end of this month. I would like to remind the government of the gap between planning and reality. No matter how grand and impressive the proposals to combat online scams might be, they exist in theory, rather than in reality. Official documents must be put into practice.
Another issue that needs to be addressed concerns Taiwan’s legal system. The nation does not have clear and definite legislation to govern international online platforms, but it is precisely on these mega platforms that investment fraud is rampantly promoted.
The government should work on these problems and realize its plans. If officials keep breaking their promises, and if the public cannot see the results of the government’s efforts, public discontent will grow.
Lo Cheng-chung is director of Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology’s Institute of Financial and Economic Law.
Translated by Emma Liu
Concerns that the US might abandon Taiwan are often overstated. While US President Donald Trump’s handling of Ukraine raised unease in Taiwan, it is crucial to recognize that Taiwan is not Ukraine. Under Trump, the US views Ukraine largely as a European problem, whereas the Indo-Pacific region remains its primary geopolitical focus. Taipei holds immense strategic value for Washington and is unlikely to be treated as a bargaining chip in US-China relations. Trump’s vision of “making America great again” would be directly undermined by any move to abandon Taiwan. Despite the rhetoric of “America First,” the Trump administration understands the necessity of
US President Donald Trump’s challenge to domestic American economic-political priorities, and abroad to the global balance of power, are not a threat to the security of Taiwan. Trump’s success can go far to contain the real threat — the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) surge to hegemony — while offering expanded defensive opportunities for Taiwan. In a stunning affirmation of the CCP policy of “forceful reunification,” an obscene euphemism for the invasion of Taiwan and the destruction of its democracy, on March 13, 2024, the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) used Chinese social media platforms to show the first-time linkage of three new
If you had a vision of the future where China did not dominate the global car industry, you can kiss those dreams goodbye. That is because US President Donald Trump’s promised 25 percent tariff on auto imports takes an ax to the only bits of the emerging electric vehicle (EV) supply chain that are not already dominated by Beijing. The biggest losers when the levies take effect this week would be Japan and South Korea. They account for one-third of the cars imported into the US, and as much as two-thirds of those imported from outside North America. (Mexico and Canada, while
The military is conducting its annual Han Kuang exercises in phases. The minister of national defense recently said that this year’s scenarios would simulate defending the nation against possible actions the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) might take in an invasion of Taiwan, making the threat of a speculated Chinese invasion in 2027 a heated agenda item again. That year, also referred to as the “Davidson window,” is named after then-US Indo-Pacific Command Admiral Philip Davidson, who in 2021 warned that Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had instructed the PLA to be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027. Xi in 2017