Digital news units of Indian billionaires Gautam Adani and Mukesh Ambani, and other outlets including the Indian Express and the Hindustan Times, are joining proceedings against OpenAI for improperly using copyright content, legal papers show.
The Indian media outlets, including Adani’s NDTV and Ambani’s Network18, have told a New Delhi court they want to join an ongoing lawsuit against the ChatGPT creator as they are worried their news Web sites are being scraped to store and reproduce their work for users of the powerful artificial intelligence (AI) tool.
In the most high-profile battle, local news agency ANI was the first to file a lawsuit against OpenAI last year. Global and Indian book publishers joined on Friday.
Photo: Reuters
The 135-page case filing, which is not public, but was reviewed by Reuters, argues OpenAI’s conduct constitutes “a clear and present danger to the valuable copyrights” of Digital News Publishers Association (DNPA) members and other outlets.
It refers to OpenAI’s “willful scraping ... and adaptation of content,” adding that “the disproportionate power of tech companies in prioritizing content and extracting advertising revenue has raised concerns among publishers.”
The filing was made by the Indian Express, Hindustan Times, Adani’s NDTV and the DNPA, which represents about 20 companies including Mukesh Ambani Network18 and players like Hindi daily Dainik Bhaskar, Zee News, India Today Group and The Hindu. Many of these outlets have a flourishing newspaper and television news business too.
The Times of India is not part of the legal challenge despite being a member of the DNPA, the filing said, without elaborating on the reasons.
OpenAI did not respond to a request for comment on the allegations made by the Indian news outlets. It has repeatedly denied such allegations, saying its AI systems make fair use of publicly available data.
In the US, the New York Times sued OpenAI and its largest financial backer Microsoft Corp in December 2023, accusing them of using millions of its articles without permission to train chatbots to provide information to users.
The new Indian intervention would add firepower to ANI’s lawsuit against OpenAI in India’s most high-profile legal proceedings on the issue.
A hearing in ANI’s lawsuit against OpenAI is scheduled for today.
Responding to the ANI case, OpenAI last week said that any order to delete training data would result in a violation of its US legal obligations, and Indian judges have no jurisdiction to hear a copyright case against the company as its servers are located abroad.
Reuters, which holds a 26 percent interest in ANI, has said it is not involved in ANI’s business practices or operations.
In recent months, OpenAI has signed deals with Time magazine, the Financial Times, Business Insider-owner Axel Springer, France’s Le Monde and Spain’s Prisa Media to display content.
The Indian publishers in their new filing argue that OpenAI has entered into partnership agreements with media outlets abroad, but has not entered into similar deals in India, hurting the media companies.
Such conduct by OpenAI “in India betrays an inexplicable defiance of the law,” the Indian media outlets’ filing said.
As OpenAI is set to become a profit-driven business benefiting from the creative works of the media industry, it would result in a “weakened press” and would not be in the best interests of a vibrant democracy, their filing said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his