Alphabet Inc’s Google, already facing an unprecedented regulatory onslaught, is looking to shape public perception and policies on artificial intelligence (AI) ahead of a global wave of AI regulation.
A key priority comes in building out educational programs to train the workforce on AI, an Alphabet executive said.
“Getting more people and organizations, including governments, familiar with AI and using AI tools, makes for better AI policy and opens up new opportunities — it’s a virtuous cycle,” Alphabet global affairs president Kent Walker said.
Photo: Reuters
Governments globally are drafting new regulations on issues that could be exacerbated by AI, such as copyright and privacy.
The EU AI Act, which seeks to assess risk and require disclosures from general-purpose AI systems, has received pushback from tech giants that could find themselves in the crosshairs of multibillion-dollar fines.
Meanwhile, the US Department of Justice has also sought to curtail Google’s advances in AI as a remedy in a federal case that found its search business to be an illegal monopoly.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai in September last year announced a US$120 million investment fund to build AI education programs. Deputies, including Walker, and Alphabet president and chief investment officer Ruth Porat are increasingly traveling globally to discuss policy recommendations with governments.
“There’s a lot of upside in terms of helping people who may be displaced by this. We do want to focus on that,” Walker said.
Efforts include expanding Grow with Google, an online and in-person program that provides training tools for businesses and teaches workers skills such as data analysis or information technology support that are meant to expand their career prospects in technical fields.
Google last month said that 1 million people had obtained a certificate for the program.
Program head Lisa Gevelber said it is adding specialized courses related to AI, such as one geared toward teachers, program head.
Courses alone are not enough to prepare workers, Walker said.
“What really matters is if you have some sort of objective that people are working towards, like a credential that people can use to apply for a job,” he added.
Google wants to increase experimentation on public-private partnerships, Walker said, citing the “Skilled Trades and Readiness” program as an example, in which the company has partnered with community colleges to train workers for potential jobs constructing data centers.
Google is incorporating AI education into the program, he said.
“Ultimately, the federal government will look and see which proofs of concept are playing out — which of the green shoots are taking root,” Walker said. “If we can help fertilize that effort, that’s our role.”
In the long term, Walker said he expects a small fraction of existing jobs to be entirely displaced by AI, citing several studies commissioned by Google, Goldman Sachs Group Inc and McKinsey & Co. Those studies suggest AI will be incorporated into most jobs in some capacity.
As part of Google's efforts to prepare for this shift, it hired economist David Autor as a visiting fellow to study the impacts of AI on the workforce. Autor said in an interview that AI could be used to create more immersive training programs, akin to flight simulators.
“The history of adult retraining is not particularly glorious,” he said. “Adults don’t want to go back to class. Classroom training is not going to be the solution to a lot of retraining.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his