US President Donald Trump has long ranted against wind energy — saying turbines are unsightly, dangerous to wildlife and too expensive — with him threatening to upend decades of industry progress just a few hours after resuming power.
“We’re not going to do the wind thing,” Trump said on Monday last week as he returned to the Oval Office for the first time in four years as commander-in-chief.
“Big, ugly windmills,” he said as he signed a series of executive orders that has brought the sector into crisis, adding that “they kill your birds, and they ruin your beautiful landscape.”
Photo: AFP
Among the measures was a temporary freeze on federal permitting and loans for all offshore and onshore wind projects.
American Clean Power Association (ACP) president Jason Grumet quickly slammed the move, saying it “increases bureaucratic barriers, undermining domestic energy development and harming American businesses and workers.”
After the announcements, wind-related stocks fell into the red.
“It’s had a real cooling effect on the sector,” Dartmouth University offshore wind specialist Elizabeth Wilson said.
Conflict-weary developers are already “backing away from some of these projects,” she said.
Although not as robust as in Europe, wind energy in 2023 accounted for about 10 percent of US electricity production — more than twice as much as solar.
Onshore wind power is also relatively inexpensive, experts say, with the price per megawatt-hour ranging from US$27 to US$73 last year, far less than nuclear or coal — although rates could fluctuate in the future.
Energy think tank Ember on Thursday warned that the US “risks being left behind in the clean industrial revolution,” as major economies such as China are increasingly “embracing wind as a source of cheap, clean electricity.”
It remains to be seen what the long-term effects of Trump’s actions would have on the sector, which has already faced struggles in the US in recent years due to rising costs from inflation and interest rates, along with mounting local opposition to projects.
Wilson said the offshore wind industry, still in its infancy in the US, is likely to be the hardest hit, as the majority of exploitable marine areas are in federal waters subject to Trump’s measures.
“Most of the onshore development happens on private lands where the federal government doesn’t really have any control,” she added.
Days before taking office, Trump wrote on his Truth Social media platform: “I don’t want even one [windmill] built during my administration.”
That pledge has seriously spooked the sector, which is worried he could permanently block subsidies or the environmental approvals needed for certain projects.
Such moves would likely be challenged in court and prompt political backlash.
“Ninety-nine percent of onshore wind power projects are on private lands, and the private landowners generally like these wind farms, and they get a lot of economic benefit from them,” Michigan Technological University professor emeritus Barry Solomon said.
The projects are also largely in Republican-led states, such as Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas and the Dakotas, he added.
The ACP also warned that restricting wind development would “increase consumer energy bills.”
Despite the headwinds, some experts remain optimistic.
"Ultimately... the economics is driving the desire for wind and solar," University of Delaware professor Jeremy Firestone said.
With artificial intelligence, energy needs "are increasing a great deal. So there's going to be a lot of pressure to continue to build out wind turbines," he added.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort